Screw Choice for MFC

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Jimbo_Edinburgh, May 25, 2015.

1. Jimbo_Edinburgh

Jimbo_Edinburgh New Member

Hi everyone,

I'm fitting a kitchen and want to screw an end fascia panel onto the unit (I believe both are made of MFC (Melamine Faced Chipboard)). The units are 18mm wide so am planning to use a 30mm screw. The question is, which screw? According to some sites they recommend a double thread screw, other sites recommend a single thread screw. The Screwfix site seems to recommend Goldscrew Yellow double thread for chipboard but other websites say to steer clear of double thread on chipboard.

I can't seem to find an answer. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Big Dunk

Big Dunk Active Member

Goldscrews are great on kitchens, I use them all the time. Drill a pilot hole through the carcass then screw into the end panel.

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Don't worry, drill some 4mm holes through the side of your unit and use either a 1 1/4" 8 or a 30 x 4 screw.

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I found these screw very good, the self countersink. don't need to pilot drill, I just use the pre-drilled holes for the shelves, making sure that the one for hinge isn't used. They help to pull the boards together.

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

If you're being posh you drill the pilot holes behind where the hinges will go so you can't see them.

Big Dunk likes this.
  6. Big Dunk

Big Dunk Active Member

I'm too tight to spend that much on a box of 30mm screws lol.

7. Big Dunk

Big Dunk Active Member

I thought that was standard practice chippie ;)

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Obviously not.

9. Jimbo_Edinburgh

Jimbo_Edinburgh New Member

Thanks guys! After reading the reviews of the screw-tite screws they are exactly what I'm looking for. Pricey yes but it looks as if they'll be better than my trusted Goldscrew Plus. I'll try them at the weekend and will let you know

10. mrdjoni

mrdjoni New Member

11. JamieTheJoiner

JamieTheJoiner New Member

It's not posh, it's just the way it should be done.

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I will refer to my earlier answer.