Screw Diameter

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by fred812, Oct 14, 2014.

1. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

Bit of advice please.

I bought a packet of plugs and screws from B&Q but have used far more screws than plugs and want to replace them. I have measured the screws and they are 60mm long and look like Goldscrews. Is the diameter the measurement across the outside of the thread, in which case I reckon its 5mm, or across the shank in which case I reckon its a 4mm?

Thanks for any help.

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Buy browns and use a 7mm masonry bit which is standard but I tend to use reds and a 6mm bit, What are you doing?

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

The diameter is indeed the outside of the thread, Yours screws are 5x60.
    In hard masonry, you might like to make the hole a tad bigger than 7mm(if using brown plugs).

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

4. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

Nothing specific at the moment but find them a really useful size.

Thanks Both

5. MrKieran

MrKieran New Member

You're over thinking it. Just get some brown plugs and stick those 60mm screws in them. I prefer 6mm drill bit so they're tight and bang plugs in with hammer.

6. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

Not really, I just had a screw that I wanted to replace with the same but didn't know how to spec it. Agree with everything you say so probably just misunderstanding.
    Thanks for the reply.