Screw sizes for Kitchen Cabinets

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Graham452, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Graham452

Graham452 New Member

Hi everyone,

I have a quick question about screw sizes for fixing my new kitchen cabinets to my walls. its worth mentioning that the kitchen comes with a suspension rail for the cabinets.

I have two types of wall, the first is a plasterboard wall set off wooden studs. My plan here is to screw into the studs where possible, and use hollow anchors inbetween. My question though is what kind of size screw should I use? I was thinking something in the region of 6x60mm, would this be adequate?

The second wall is a solid wall, not sure of the material, but its solid. Am I better using sleeved anchors here, or just a decent quality wall plug, i.e. Fischer SX.

Any links to any suitable products would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

I'd prob go for 70mm screws. You can loose 15-20mm going through the bracket and plaster board/skim.

Good quality brown/equiv size plugs will be fine in most cases. Slightly angle your drill bit down as you drill as this will give you a bit more 'bite' from the fixings.

FatHands likes this.
  3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

5x50 will be fine for the studs and red or brown plugs for the solid wall assuming it isn't dot and dab

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

As it happens, I have been fixing kitchen cabinets here, been using 5x 70mm screws, did consider 50mm but far too short after allowing for plasterboard & cabinet gap.

5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

50mm as Chippie said should be fine for studs, they're not gonna pull out...unless you're putting your cast iron cylinder head and crankshaft collection in them. Of course that would be foolish as everyone knows that only camshafts go in the wall cupboards, heads and cranks go in the base units...next to the cupboard with the beer in!

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I have use turbo coach screws, when I last installed my kitchen wall units, the size was 150mm x M6. Much better thane the screws that were provided, as the head would round off.

7. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

I know cereals are often fortified with iron Jitender...but the ones you eat must be pretty extreme :D

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

typo, should of read 50mm!

CGN likes this.
  9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

What cabinet gap?

10. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Yeah Chippie. Don't know much about kitchen fitting, but if the OP is using rails,aren't these attached directly to the wall? o_O

11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

yes

12. Xeorix

Xeorix New Member

13. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Very nice, but op was hanging wall cabinets!!

14. Graham452

Graham452 New Member

Sorry I'm only just replying!

I got some 5x65 screws at the weekend with plugs to match and the cabinets went up like a dream!

And they are still on the wall which is a bonus! ;)

Thanks for all the advice!