Screwdrivers

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by echelon101, Sep 19, 2016.

1. echelon101

echelon101 Member

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

3. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

As KIAB says, don't worry about VDE rated if you are doing electrics.

For general use I too would look at the Wiha KIAB linked to.

Which ever you go for make sure it has POZIDRIVE and learn the difference between Pozi and Phillips - they are both cross heard but different in dimensions. Using the wrong driver will damage te head or te driver.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Good point about Pozi & Philips difference.

upload_2016-9-19_15-14-29.jpeg

5. echelon101

echelon101 Member

Thanks for the suggestions!

6. TheMorg

TheMorg Active Member

For around £20 you can get a set of Wera WER006148 screwdrivers. I have found Wera to be fantastic screwdrivers, mine are still going strong after 10 years of daily use.

7. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

I use Wera bits for my drill/driver...They're great. I've got a load of the old Stanley screwdrivers,which have been good for many years of use, but i'm not too sure about the their modern equivalents. :(:(

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Stanley screwdrivers today aren't nowhere close to the quailty they were 15 years ago, I still have Stanley screwdrivers from 35 years ago & they still have their orginal tips.

Use Wera for bits for my drill/driver, VDE & general screwdrivers.

malkie129 likes this.
  9. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

And keep the old screwdrivers handy - to use for all the things you shouldn't really use screwdrivers for ;)

10. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Have had a Wera high impact PZ2 bit in my impact driver for 9 months - still going strong. I bought a set of about 9 three years ago, cost a fortune but still have most of them

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:eek::eek::(:(

I have a few odd screwdrivers with through handles & a strking cap, seldom used now, as I have a Bosch impact driver, but my old quailty screwdrivers never get misused.:eek:

12. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Number of times used old screwdrivers to separate bits of metal components stuck together, ground them down to make "drifts" or levers - which really sort out the cheap ones ;)

13. echelon101

echelon101 Member

Went with dewalt ones. After a big think I couldn't see a reason in getting the more expensive set. Also with only four screwdrivers, the toolbox still closes.

The vde ones were completely the wrong choice. The desalts feel nice and chunk y.

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Another happy customer.:)

Give it 12 months & you'll find those screwdrivers will breed, you will get that screw that needs a bigger or smaller screwdriver, so you'll add another screwdriver, & then another to your collection...:rolleyes: