Screwfix 17th ed metal consumer units, compliant?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by 14th edition, Feb 10, 2016.

1. 14th edition

14th edition Well-Known Member

Hi,
    These look a good buy, loaded for 65ish plus VAT but I heard that because the front flap is not self closing it doesn't comply....? Any thoughts on this?

2. fire

fire Well-Known Member

Did you forget to post the link? :confused:

The idea of the Amendment 3 is to contain a fire that may happen due to overheating inside the metal or non combustible enclosure.
    If it does not have a self closing lid as in has hinges at the bottom not the top then no it does not comply with the new amendment because if lid was left open the fire could escape the enclosure.

With the compliant enclosures to leave the door open you would have to somehow construct something to prop open the door which is just bad, why would one want to do that anyway.

There are a few floating around on ebay stating 17th ed compliant but they are not. The front door is a plastic clear door. Be careful sellers will cheat you out of your cash.
    It has to be completely metal door and case with hinges at the top of the door so gravity would allow the door to close naturally

3. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

As far as I can work out the unit can't catch fire, no more, no less. Where in the regs does it say it has to contain any fire?

A

4. nffc

nffc Active Member

There is nothing in amendment 3 that specifies where the door should be hinged. So as long as the door and the hinges are metal then this board complies with amendment 3.

This is the BEAMA guidance on consumer units. Note nothing is mentioned in regards to hinge position - http://www.beama.org.uk/asset/7DF1EEE0-F314-452B-81E276BC561F4B89/

5. fire

fire Well-Known Member

Ok so we may have missed the reason for the Amendment.

It is to in the even the CU develops a fire the enclosure contains that fire from spreading. It burns itself out in the box and does not start burning surrounding items.

If the door is left open surely flames will be able to escape as the MCB's begin to melt and burn.

So a metal door and case which is closed at all times seems to fit better than a door that can be left open as the hinges are at the bottom. Just common sense...

6. nffc

nffc Active Member

I do not disagree with you. However, the op wanted to know if the CU complies and it does. The dinosaurs at the IET have used there combined 2,000,000 years of 'experience' to write this reg. Far be it for us mere sparks to guess what they meant. I just listen to what they have actually wrote. And it only mentions the materials that need to be used.

fire likes this.
  7. madhatter1uk

madhatter1uk Screwfix Select

Yes it does comply. Even with the door open the box is still compliment.

8. madhatter1uk

I find the amendment annoying because of the required ip rating. I've a consumer unit to fit and its mounted on a wooden frame with the cables entering from behind. I'm struggling to see how I can get them to enter and comply.

9. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Just make a big hole on the rear, as long as its made of metal it complies.

10. nffc

nffc Active Member

Read the BEAMA guide in post 4. You can use sealant.

madhatter1uk likes this.
  11. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I have definitely read somewhere that the door needs to be hinged from the top although I can't remember where.
    It does sound logical doesn't it, after all when the door is open the front of the box is effectively plastic isn't it!

12. 14th edition

madhatter1uk likes this.
  13. madhatter1uk

I was wondering that but every example shows it flat on a wall with rear entry. That said it does show a trunking straight up from a single top entry and doesn't mention fire protection.

14. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I've used a couple of Contactum Defender ones with no problems at all.

madhatter1uk likes this.
  15. madhatter1uk

Na I'm sure it's on the Wylex channel and in pe mag that drop down doors comply. Definitely.

16. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

I presume all these steel consumer units have been tested in an internal fire situation. Say if you have a 16 way unit with 16 mcb's, 2 RCD.s and DP mains switch and it catches fire with all that plastic and cable insulation. Whilst hinging at the top will be better it won't be ideal IMHO. The door will open with all the flames and gases of combustion belching out. So even with metal enclosures correct placement of same seems essential to me. If someone hangs a coat over it will make very little difference being metal or plastic.
    I think this Amendment 3 was very much a knee jerk reaction to those fires in London.

17. fire

fire Well-Known Member

Probably not tested at all no.
    Regs only said that the enclosure must be made from a material that does not combust, effectively does not contribute to the fire so fire burns out as it has nothing more to burn and therefore does not the whole house down.
    Last year many turned to the Metal Clad units which still had a plastic door on the front and they were deemed unacceptable because of the plastic door contributing to combustion.

There is still the option of enclosing the entire consumer unit inside a steel box. I thought that was a bit odd when i read it but yea, a box in a box, with a door on it lol.

What will they think of next, exploding foam extinguisher cartridges placed inside the consumer unit enclosure that goes off in the presence of high heat. Oh **** better not be given them ideas...

Either way it is metal until someone comes up with a special composite material enclosure that does not burn. NASA has some of that stuff i am sure :p

18. fire

fire Well-Known Member

That does look like a pretty poor quality Consumer Unit, i wonder if it is CE marked. It has to be right?

But for £15 quid more

http://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-sentry-16-module-10-way-metal-split-load-consumer-unit/2186g

19. 14th edition

Hi Fire, yes saw that and will go for that one!

20. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Interestingly
    Beama have included the following as
    In scope...
    One Way Consumer Units (a double
    pole main switch and one outgoing way)
    Shower units
    Garage units
    Distribution Boards (with Circuit
    Breakers or Fuses)
    Photo-Voltaic combiner boxes
    Voltage Optimisation

Shower units ?.......anyone have any ideas ?
    RS