Screwfix BG RCBOs

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Mr.AwesomeHandyman, Feb 11, 2016.

1. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Why is that Si? Why would you want to use a two module width rcbo when a single width rcbo suffices?

2. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

Stops nuisance tripping of other RCD's upstream and saves a lot of grief when it does

TT outbuildings fed from S types is a firm fav. or when some bozo has stuck a G 30mA type on the incomer when you cut Neutral and earth even though you have isolated the Live on the RCBO (that being only Single pole)

If both Live and Neutral are isolated from one device saves walking back and resetting

You could disconnect the Neutral from its terminal but thats opening up the enclosure and adding time to the job

Be simple to isolate completely from one device thats what I am referring to JP

Phil Hyde likes this.
  3. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Right I see what you mean Si - thanks for that m8.

4. David S

David S New Member

Nice to see reference to my SBS products.
    I have sold a few thousand of my Compacts in the last 5 years and I am a TRADE ONLY Supplier.
    For anyone who needs more info, please e-mail me at. david.stansfield@satnet.me.uk
    Incidentally, I buy from Screwfix and have an Electricfix Trade Account.

David Stansfield MIET
    aka DaveS or SBS Dave, depending on the specific Forum.

5. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

Then you should use them provided

133.1.1 Every item of equipment shall comply with the appropriate British or Harmonized Standard. In the absence of such a standard, reference shall be made to the appropriate International (IEC) standard or the appropriate standard of another country.

6. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

Thank you for that comment Armchair sparkie. . .

7. Armchair Sparkie

Armchair Sparkie New Member

Thank you for the name check.

8. madhatter1uk

madhatter1uk Screwfix Select

I wouldn't ever work on a circuit without isolating the neutral on an RCD fed box again. When it trips it encourages numpties to try to switch everything back on including the one I'm working on.

9. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

Let's not forget that in a domestic premises irregardless of earthing arrangements all live conductors must be interrupted for isolation purposes.

That's what the main switch is for.

10. [​IMG]

Risteard likes this.
  11. tina lucinda lane

tina lucinda lane Screwfix Select

i normaly use gaffa tape over the box cover with a notice live exposed power behind touch this and you will die (keeps hands off i can tell you)

12. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

1. Fully charge a van de graaff generator,
    2. Place Do not touch notice in a prominent position
    3. Leave unattended
    4. Return to check if discharged
    Result - generator discharged.

Moral - Notices are not a safety device.

13. tina lucinda lane

tina lucinda lane Screwfix Select

yea but i mean i tape the cover in place with gafa tape

14. David S

David S New Member

Hi sparky Si-Fi,
    re- wobbly RCBOs, could it be that the DIN rail was slightly undersize?
    The answer is YES.
    In fact, the IP65 plastic enclosure featured was a range I imported from China a few years ago.
    The DIN rail was a thinner gauge metal and slighter undersize across the face.
    The result was a slightly loose fit for my Compact RCBOs, Standard RCBOs, Main Switches, RCDs and MCBs.
    It was also a loose fit for other UK brand products I used, as well. However, when both busbars are fitted, the whole assembly becomes super-rigid.

SBS Dave

15. Usual shoddy Chinese carp then.

16. David S

David S New Member

Hi Deleted member 11267,

I assume you are referring to the IP65 enclosure, in which case the answer is yes.
    The quality of the box was not as good as other boxes available in the UK (most of which are made in China).

SBS Dave

17. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

I always thought that the general consensus of opinion of the forum (judging on posts some time back about BG db's) is that BG gear is ok?

18. They are not BG,they are some obscure make JP

19. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Oh right Dobs - best avoided like the plague then m8. Thanks Dobs.

20. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

single pole switched neutral rcbo's are single module and obviously switch the neutral...perfect for TT installations where you have an upfront S-type RCD. If my memory serves me correct SBS also sell these and another make I think is Garo.