Screwfix censoring negative reviews of their own brand

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by Mac-Man, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Stuart_B

Stuart_B Member

I appreciate this is an old Topic resurrected but last night when using an Erbauer Orbital Sander there was a bang and part of the motor burst through the casing , flew past my face and landed several feet away in the kitchen sink .. It's a few years old but has had little use .I'll contact Screwfix to let them know and see what they say as I'm surprised that such a fault could occur .It could have been a bit nasty .

Attached Files:

2. miss pickle

miss pickle Well-Known Member

Oh my gawd :eek: that is scary stuff! Jeez would you get compensation if there had been a nasty accident? I have several years guarantee with my few tools. Am I supposed to renew them once the guarantee has ran out then to make sure I'm covered? :cool: How does it work? Tools scare the life out of me :(

3. Andy_2sx

Andy_2sx New Member

Just to add to this thread my erbauer 238 saw sheared its retaining bolt this morning. Wasn't under any load just starting up. The saw is about 2 years old bought from screwfix. Clearly the torque from starting up puts too much stress on the bolt and this causes it to shear after a number of start ups. Fortunately no injuries. However it will only be a period of time before it happens. For myself I wil buy 5 bolts and replace annually. For screwfix not great to have this issue seems to be a design flaw in that the calc on shear strength on start ups where the inertia is causing failure and not being consisted in their calcs.

4. screwfix.peter

screwfix.peter Administrator Staff Member

Hi @Andy_2sx

I am sorry to read of the problems with the Saw.

Erbauer Power Tools are covered by a 2 year warranty, so please contact our Customer Service Team on 03330 112 112 or email them at online@screwfix.com so we can confirm if the Saw is still is covered by it's warranty and resolve this matter for you,

Regards

Peter

5. Andy_2sx

Andy_2sx New Member

Thanks for the response checked when the bought it, it was 2 3/4 years ago, therefore out of warranty. There wasn't any injury or damage when the bolt sheared hence I went online to find a replacement and saw this thread, the issue wasn't such that I would claim under a warranty anyway, the issue is the safety aspect. There wasn't any load it sheared under start up, the inertia of the blade is causing too much shear stress on the bolt in my opinion, it certainly not sheared from changing the blade since I don't do this. I have now found replacement Mikita bolts from Miles tools for £1.50 each, hence its not a cost issue just a safety issue.

Regards

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Did you regularly check the tightness of any bolt?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

7. Rob_bv

Rob_bv Active Member

Shortly after I replaced the bolt with a 12.9 DeWalt one on my JCBauer, it sheared whilst under no load, once again trying to carve a section out of my leg. Luckily I was saved by the guard, but I chucked the saw in the skip immediately after that.

8. Andy_2sx

Andy_2sx New Member

I cleaned it about 6 months ago and checked most things not sure if the bolt was checked. Will change the bolt annually from now on since I bought 5 of them!

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Got a Bosch mitre saw here, I always replaced the bolt every year & have done for many years now, never had one shear.

10. Bren99

Bren99 New Member

This is serious!! I was using my ERB238MSW out in the front garden Saturday just gone.
    I started the saw, there was a noise and a black blur shooting past my face snagging my fleece before it hit the bush's in next doors garden. I stopped the saw to find that the arbor bolt had sheared with the head snapped off. This is identical to the pictures in the original post which I have found by chance whilst searching for another bolt. How many more have gone unreported? My saw is about 4 years old but has had only light use and one blade change because of cutting different materials. Screwix this sounds like a product component flaw.

11. Welshdragon1

Welshdragon1 Active Member

Until SF make a recall, boycott the Erbauer brand, once it hits them in the pocket, then they make the step to get it sorted.....

Also report it to the H&SE & other regulatory bodies, IE: Trading standards, once they have built up a case, they can get SF chastised.....

12. donal gowans

donal gowans New Member

I wonder how many posts it takes before a fix is put in place. I too have an erb238msw (3 years old and changed the blade once) and guess what the arbor bolt snapped just before christmas, luckily the guard stopped it but, still very dangerous. I tried one company for replacement bolts unfortunately they cannot supply it. I would like to think that screwfix would supply (i don't mind paying for it if necessary) the replacement bolts.

13. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

And did anyone have safety glasses on, I doubt it very much.

So when you do loose an eye you won't have a leg to stand on.

14. David Coging

David Coging New Member

I had the same thing happen to my ERB238MSW saw this morning, I had been cutting up a load of 4x2 to build a shed, after about an hour the blade retaining bolt sheared on start up, this is the second time, the first being around March last year (2018) again on start up, on that occasion I phoned Screwfix to try and get another bolt only to learn they don't supply spare parts, which I think is very poor indeed. I fitted a Makita part.
    I will fit another bolt and continue to use my saw, but when it does come to the end of it's life I will buy a known brand, not another Screwfix own product.
    As an aside I own a 20 year old Kawasaki motorcycle and can still buy spare parts for that without any problems, not a good show from Screwfix.

15. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

With the greatest respect. Kawasaki is a quality brand. Erbauer most certainly isn't.

kitfit1 likes this.
  16. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Not only is Kawasaki a quality brand, it's one of the oldest post WW2 Japanese quality brands there is. Predates Makita by a long way.

David Coging likes this.
  17. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

If this is a known fault and it clearly is known by a few years worth of lucky escapes, why have Screwfix not recalled the product or issued a warning statement?

18. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

Some negative reviews seem not quite helpful due to user errors or lack of knowledge on tools use?

I have had a Mitre saw from SF, EVOLUTION and matching stand for about 5 years now, and it is still working well.

About 3-4 year ago, when I was cutting 6 inch log with it, the motor smoked. I thought it must have been damaged with overload, and motor burnt.
    But the saw still keeps working. Maybe it was just getting hot, and lube in motor was heating up.

anyhow this is 6th year of the saw with me, and still cutting lots of boards in the shed.

I have not done review on the Evolution mitre saw, but it is a great piece of kit.
    At the time when it smoked, I was going to write negative review on it. Glad I didn't.
    It was my fault trying to cut 6inch log with mitre saw. But at the time, I didn't realise that.

19. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

6" log on a mitre saw :eek:..............commonly known as an accident waiting to happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:(

20. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

It was a few year ago, and from memory, the Evolution mitre saw did cut a few thinner logs quite well at the time.
    But it smoked when cutting 6 inch diamtre one.

Still working fine after that.