Screwits???

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by spark&half, Sep 28, 2009.

1. spark&half

spark&half New Member

2. cliffy brown

cliffy brown New Member

been using them for years, dead handy on shower changes when cable is a bit short
  3. bluevelvet

bluevelvet New Member

The last time i came across some of those in an old farmhouse,they where made out of porcelain
  4. wally2

wally2 New Member

I thought columb would be popping up, he posted his fine pic of a screwit on here a year or 2 back.
  5. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

Of all the connectors for stranded wires that I've seen, there's never been a more reliable device - including the later Wago devices. They have simply fallen into disuse, but they are certainly not banned by any Regulation in any country, when placed in a proper enclosure.....

American fhp motors have always used flying leads with these 'screwits' - or wire nuts as they call them (unlike the British and Continental machines with a fixed terminal block) because they are so resistant to vibration. The modern type now has a locking screw - not that it's ever been needed.

I defy anyone to pull away a properly made Screwit connection. It just can't be done.

Lucia
  6. Adam Amp

Adam Amp New Member

So could I use screwits in an enclosure as a non maintained joint in an inaccessible location rather than crimping then?
  7. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

I think you already know the answer to that one, AA.

Personally, I would trust a 'Screwit' connection over a crimp joint anytime (unless I had actually done the crimp joint myself). Some people are dangerous with a pair of crimps in their hands.........

No, it can't be classed as a non-maintenance joint, reliable that it is.

Lucia.
  8. Adam Amp

Adam Amp New Member

You're a big olde, cavernous font of information Lucia:)
  9. lamps

lamps New Member

never seen a screwit how do they work is it simply insert cable and twist
  10. spark&half

spark&half New Member

Correct lamps..

;)
  11. My Name Is Death

My Name Is Death New Member

been using them for years, dead handy on shower
    changes when cable is a bit short

I like the dead reference

Rigor
  12. Stoday

Stoday New Member

That advert's misleading.

Says that size is used for cables 9.9 to 12mm dia. In fact, the max wire dia for that size is 10AWG, which is 2.5mm dia or 5mm².
  13. jumboscruit

jumboscruit New Member

If you have good eyesight and get hold of one of those old porcelain connectors,the name on the end would read "scruit".

I seem to remember they were available in "midget" or "jumbo" sizes.(Maybe I should have used the smaller size as my name, as I mostly used them).

They were very good, and were used all the time back in the 60's, especially thoses J boxes without any connectors, such as the BICC RB4 type. Mind you, they could be difficult to undo,without making a mess of the joint.

Modern plastic ones have a threaded brass insert I believe.

Js.