screws stripped out of upvc door hinge

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by isaac960, Apr 28, 2010.

1. isaac960

isaac960 New Member

I have a upvc patio door and the top most hinge has pulled out of the door frame. The screw holes in the door are effectively too big for the screws.
    Is there a screw insert or some thing similar I can buy, so that I don't have to purches a complete new door.
    All suggestions gratefully accepted.

Isaac

2. widestyle

widestyle New Member

Your local fixings supplier (nut and bolts) will be able to supply you with a threaded insert. It will take a machine thread screw instead of a wood screw. Google Anchor inserts if you have no joy. Ask them for a "sample". ;)
    Pete

3. If you have the space to fit them Rawlplug Rawlnuts are a really good product as they fit pretty much flush with the surface and bellow out like a ballon in the cavity that I assume that you have in you frame section?

However I would very strongly recommend that you trial some first in a similar section or off cut or before drilling larger holes in your frame.

Using steel zinc plated socket screws (allen screws) may assist in fully expanding the Rawlnuts as they are much stronger than standard steel or stainless steel screws and are less prone to the drive recess rounding off.

Measure the depth of the recess in your frame by poking a nail into the hole to enable you to chose the correct length of Rawlnut for you project.