Scribing and trimming for uneven walls.

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by diymostthings, Dec 9, 2016.

1. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

This refers to a vertical length of architrave on the new kitchen door frame I have just installed. The frame is dead square and the door works fine. But - one edge of the door frame is against a wall which is very uneven so the architrave I have bought needs to be trimmed along the edge against the wall.
    I know there is a technique for scribing horizontal worktops to take up undulations in the abutting wall but i have'nt got any tools to do this. Is there a trick of the trade I can use to scribe this architrave accurately please? Thank you.

diymostthings

2. Pin the architrave up to the wall and plumb to your lining.
    Measure how much needs to come off the architrave.
    Cut a block to this size and run it down the wall onto the architrave marking with a pencil.

3. diymostthings

Thanks Deleted member 11267 - I think I have got it. So talking my way though your advice:
    1. Temporarily pin the architrave to the frame/lining with the widest "bulge" in the wall just touching the edge, and ensuring the the architrave is dead vertical.
    2. Measure the difference between the point of contact (i.e. maximum bulge of the wall) and the maximum "hollow" where the acrhitrave sits away from the wall.
    3. Make up a small wooden block of the width in 2. and run down the length with a pencil close to the edge on the block. This should trace out the cut needed.

If thats right I'll start after dinner tonight.

Brilliant thanks

diymostthings

4. If you are keeping the architrave back 1/4" from edge of liner,measure how much the architrave is overhanging the lining.
    Add on the 1/4" and this should be the size of the block.
    Hope you understand my description.

5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Quite a few youtube videos on scribing. Have a google as well for "scribing with a washer" sometimes a lot easier than using a block or compass

chippie244 likes this.
  6. diymostthings

Yes, perfectly Deleted member 11267 (actually I have allowed for a 1/8" back from the edge of the liner). I've now marked it but will have to wait until morning to cut it as I have to do it outside and its raining now!

7. diymostthings

Diolch sospan - I'll take a look (between Welsh lessons...)