Scribing howdens kitchen units

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by John Hepburn, Feb 15, 2015.

1. John Hepburn

John Hepburn Member

Hi, I am fitting my kitchen, but have come across a problem. I am using a howdens kitchen which has seperate end panels. I set my end panel so it sat flush with the back of the cabinet and flush with the top, when I come to put doors on, the door stuck out more than the front of the end panel. I adjusted the door as far back as I could get it and had to adjust the end panel to suit. There is now a gap between the end panel and the wall. Are you supposed to scribe the back of the cabinet (not the end panel) to the wall. I know this would be the case if it was a built in end panel but never fitted one with seperate end panels.

2. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

Sounds like some of the plumb and level is off, if the shape of the gap is a long thin triangle. Or somewhere in the wall its bulging out and pushing the cabinet out.

3. Sunto64

Sunto64 Member

If your end panel is flush at the top and flush at the back then that is how it is set up to be.Some kitchen panels are designed to be flush with the doors and other panels sit back a little. If you start scribing units back that fit the wall fine you may start creating other problems along the way. I work on magnet and Homebase kitchens mainly and see this all the time. I thing things could fit better but it's all about artistic licence the decisions are made buy buyers and we have to live with their decisions right or wrong. My big bug bare is that some companies make kitchen fitting harder than it needs to be . They need to work closer with the fitters and not the designers as they do not play in the real world.