SDS Drill Lube

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by malkie129, May 20, 2007.

1. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Hi Blokes...
    I understand that you should apply lubricant to SDS drill bits, but I refuse to pay 3or4 quid for a piddly little tube of "special" grease. I have available silicone grease(MS33)or Copperslip.What's the best bet? Thanks, Malkie.

2. P F Hammer

P F Hammer New Member

IMO Copaslip is fine, it's what I regularly use.

3. grease should never be applied to SDS bits...

dust/grit etc will stick to it and trash the bit and the chuck

4. malkie129

No GU10, I mean on the shank of the drill, not on the cutting portion. Surely a bit of lube cannot harm the sliding action in the chuck...Hey, this sounds a bit rude ;)

5. Burlington Bertie

Burlington Bertie New Member

grease should never be applied to SDS bits...

dust/grit etc will stick to it and trash the bit and
    the chuck

Oh yeah ?? Then perhaps you should tell DeWalt - they recommend in the instructions for their SDS drills that the shanks should be greased. You obviously know more than they do

6. Mr GrimNasty

Mr GrimNasty Active Member

Sort of both right.
    Really needs lube (but a quick light duty job without won't hurt) - but if you get any dust/grit in the lube/chuck it will trash it.

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Liberally spray an old rag with WD40, and carry it around with your tools. Wipe the bits now and again with it. That's enough(using the rag will also help remove dust and grit).

Mr. HandyAndy - really

8. Mr GrimNasty

Mr GrimNasty Active Member

A rag won't get in the slots where the dirt gathers and if you're doing prolonged/heavey duty work - if all you've used is a wipe of WD40, you'll end up with your bit welded in the chuck.

9. Mr. Handyandy

Rags are very versatile.

Next you'll be saying the bits should be washed and brushed in a solution of paraffin, set out to dry, and when dry, lubricated with a proprietry lubricant applied by a brand new brush, and wrapped in a grease covered sheet before placing gently back into the drill-bit holder case, with integral clipped lid, etc etc

Mr. HandyAndy - really

10. malkie129

I really didn't mean to start a war....I just wanted to know what lube manufacturers were advising & was anything I had available suitable. I am inclined to use my coppaslip, as PFH agrees and Kandy, yes, it's probably not necessary to use lube if banging a few 8mm holes into brick, but I would prefer to use it if I am fitting rawlbolts into concrete. Sorry Andy, but I really do not think that WD40 is a good enough metal to metal lubricant in this situation. Thanks to you all for you opinions. Malkie. :)

11. Mr. Handyandy

Aren't you supposed to put the grease actually straight into the chuck ?

Mr. HandyAndy - really

12. gardm1nt

gardm1nt New Member

Used copperslip since i finished the small tube of grease suplied by makita. IMO something is better than nothing, and ceratinly woukldnt pay for a small tube of grease with a makita label. (no im not scotish!)

13. kimble

kimble New Member

Aren't you supposed to put the grease actually
    straight into the chuck ?

Mr. HandyAndy - really

No

According to Bosch who invented the SDS chuck you should make sure the shank you are to insert is clean then lightly grease

14. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

surely wd40 is not a proper lube, ts more a cleansing agent.

what about that dry wax based lube designed for bike chains (dirt doesn't stick to it)?

15. malkie129

Hi gardm1nt. That's exactly what I was thinking when I posted this....No, I'm not Scottish either, but I hate being ripped off. ;)

16. Burlington Bertie

Burlington Bertie New Member

All I can say is that I use a DeWalt SDS drill a lot and have never had a problem with debris knackering the end of the bit or the chuck. I think any grease is OK