seal between cladding and slates

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by JoeP, May 29, 2017.

1. JoeP

JoeP New Member

Hi,

We have recently had a new roof fitted and I have been adding cladding but we have a gap between the cladding and the slates. This part of the house gets the full force of the weather. What is the usual way of sealing it? The builder suggested silicone sealant but this is a major pain in the !@£ as the gap is up to 2 cm high and infinitely deep. We have seen that there are dry verge systems but most of these need to go under the battens and the roof is finished.

I've attached photo which sort of shows it.

Cheers,

Joe

Attached Files:

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Sand and cement, being very careful not to stain your bargeboard and cladding. Never used one, always thought they were a gimmick but perhaps a mortar pointing gun may be of use here...?

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Sloppy work,usually there would be undercloak, slate or cement board onto which you mortared the slates,with a overhang around 50mm, but some peeps will do less.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Going to have to take up the verge slates in order to install a cement undercloak or dry verge.

Not sure if the cladding/shiplap is fixed correctly, should be in the groves and tounge. The top board will need removing and trimming to suit.

6. JoeP

JoeP New Member

Thanks guys. I will see about getting a retrofit dry verge.