Sealant/Adhesive recomendations for sink Oak to Stainless Steel Sink

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by imk, Aug 10, 2014.

1. imk

imk New Member

Hello,
    Yesterday morning I took an off cut from my oak worktop and stuck to my old stainless steel sink (both where sanded clean and dry) and last night the joint seemed strong. So I left it in the garden overnight, this morning it seemed ok however by lunch time during the heavy rain it had simply fallen off. The sink joint had failed as the silicon was still stuck to the oak, although this pulled of with little effort.

So it seems that the (bathroom & kitchen) sanitary sealant I used is more sealant than adhesive.
    Any recommendations what to use to stick down an over mount stainless sink to an oak work top please?

many thanks imk

2. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Just one thing to bear in mind. Your kitchen worktop is hardly likely to be left outside in the heavy rain we had today. Train your missus to clean up all spills straight away. You say both items were sanded and left clean and dry before siliconing them together.. Did you oil this offcut of worktop fully before sticking them together? (if not then the rain would have affected the oak) ;);)

You could try a product called "Tigerseal" (available from motor factors,, used to stick panels /glass etc on cars) Does come in several colours and may need wiping off the worktop/sink before it sets.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  3. imk

imk New Member

In fact I stuck two pieces of oak to the old sink, one I had oiled and the other I had not and both had fallen off.
    (As a matter of interest the silicon left on the dried oiled oak offcut was about as difficult to peel off as the unoiled oak. So it seems that this silicone sticks better to oiled oak than SS sink!)
    many thanks for your reply.
    PS I have emailed the manufactures asking them for a recommendation.

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

You need to prepare the sink with something like a galvanized metal-etching primer, then oil-based primer, then it'll be ready to use silicone sealant on.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

5. imk

imk New Member

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

imk likes this.