sealing bare edges on unit carcasses

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Graham Everett, Apr 10, 2014.

1. hi, i had a wickes take away kitchen delivered today and the instructions state that the bare chipboard edges should be sealed with paint or silicone.

I understand that if it gets wet the chipboard will swell up, i was intending to seal the worktop to the wall and round the sink but not the edges of the units.

What is the correct/standard procedure please?

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Sorry, if it says seal all bear edges why would you not want to do that, it doesn't make sense.

3. i wan't to know if this is normal practice, it's going to slow things up waiting for bits to dry etc. If this is the norm then fair enough, would a pro do it?. No disrespect Phil but i was after the opinion of a kitchen fitter...

4. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

Most will seal with PVA glue,but as Phil says just follow their instructions.

5. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Don't assume by my name, I'm a allround builder, Phil the paver, is my take on Bob the builder.:)

plumberboy likes this.
  6. snezza30

snezza30 Member

The edges of the units.........??????......You've lost me Graham!!!

Yes, by all means seal any bare edges of the Sink and Hob cut-outs, but are you saying that the units that were delivered by Wickes, have some bare edges on the cabinets...!!!! I find that hard to believe in this day and age.

Snezza

7. yes a lot of the edges that won't be seen ie against the wall or a bottom that has sides round it are bare chipboard. I have looked at my parents kitchen (which is around 30 years old) tonight and this is the same and its got a few dodgy bits on it now but in fairness at that age it's to be expected.,

8. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

As above, if they're saying seal all edges, then they're just being pedantic, who seals rough edges against a wall etc?......

9. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

'Tis a load of tosh, I've never known a kitchen fitter 'Pva/seal' bare carcass end grain not in view or whatever unless it's for a sink or the the like .

10. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I would imagine that 'seal all bare edges' refers to any edges you have had to cut yourself!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

11. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

So we all 'seal' where we 'notch' for pipework etc do we?, every carcass I've seen hasn't been 'factory' sealed on the edges not in view, as previously stated, Tis bollards.

12. i think they are just trying to cover themselves, i can't imagine it happens in real life. I want to unpack a unit assemble it and move on to the next. to do it their way i'd have to un pack everything seal it come back the next day and figure out what went with what!

13. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

+1 for Rulland. Iv'e scribed units to walls before and have never sealed the bare edges. I have however sealed the join between wall and unit. Never sealed notches for pipework, and never had one comeback for not sealing them.