Sealing Gas hob - is this right?

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Doer-upper1, Jul 2, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Doer-upper1

Doer-upper1 New Member

Hello all!
    We've just had a gas hob fitted, and the sealing strip between the hob and the worktop looks pretty messy, and means that the hob sits above the worktop rather than flush with it (picture attached). I don't believe it's meant to look like this, but not sure what to do to fix it. Have tried trimming with a razor blade, but with no great joy.

Would it be best to remove the hob and refit a different sealing strip? Or is there a way to improve the way it looks without doing this?

Any advice would be much appreciated please!

Many thanks :) Hob picture.JPG

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Had the exact same problem a few weeks ago

Fitted an electric hob for a mate - like for like swap so all electrics in place

Hob top was slim like yours, although glass and needs to fit flush with worktop

Fitted sealing strip (had doubts in my mind before taking it out of box) plonked into cut out and yeah, like yours, looks totaly rubbish

Spent more time removing strip and adhesive, added a bead of sili to fix to worktop and then pushed into place

Finished with a tiny bead of clear sili and now looks great

Worth checking that the raw edges of the cut out or well sealed in case of any water ingress over the years (top looks like laminate) ?

3. Doer-upper1

Doer-upper1 New Member

Thanks Dave - much appreciated! Will take it all off and redo with silicone - annoying.

4. thedailylama

thedailylama New Member

Hi all and sorry to hijack your thread but I have been trying to find the best way to do this also and have seen mixed opinions. Several people say not to use silicone as it can be flammable or not heat proof or something but I am yet to find a definitive answer.

Also, I purchased some mastic strips from a seller on Amazon but that was a complete waste of money too. I have seen the foam strips which you appear to have used here but if that's the outcome then I am now not sure what to use either.

Anyone have a solution or can you say if silicone is suitable or not?

5. palavaman

palavaman Well-Known Member

You say it is a gas hob. The other posters say theirs was an electric hob. Well, if yours is a gas hob, then do not ''fidgit'' about with it as the gas connection may come loose. You do not have the required tools (and you shouldn't except you are Gas Safe Registered). Any leak could be disastrous. Get the fitter back to sort it. I hope you confirmed they are gas safe registered? BTW, my laptop refuses to show me the picture you posted???

6. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

New, super sharp blade. Quick and hard will cut it clean. Or poke the seal strip back just under the hob with a blade laid flat.
    Some of the hobs are pretty pants for sitting flat on the worktop. That type of seal should not be positioned where it needs trimming.

7. thedailylama

thedailylama New Member

Would it be better to fit the foam seal to the hob instead of to the worktop? And is this type of seal waterproof or do you need silicone or mastic to make it water tight?

8. I wonder if, in your case, there is a slight recess behind that SS edge where it comes down towards the worktop, so if the foam tape had been positioned slightly further in - in that possible recess - the hob could have been pulled further down? Ie - perhaps it's because the very edge of the SS top is squishing on the foam that it cannot be compressed enough?

It's one of these things - possibly if you were able to let it 'settle' for a few weeks and keep tweaking the hob securing clamps down a tiny bit more each time, the foam could well compress to the point where it ain't a visual issue. But, in any event, that's gonna become a dirt trap so I guess will need sili or similar in any case.