Sealing new plaster on an external wall

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by echelon101, Jul 27, 2016.

1. echelon101

echelon101 Member

http://community.screwfix.com/threads/penetrating-dam.180351/

Continuing on from this thread,

So the works are underway, we have been told that we should leave the plaster to dry for a month (fine) and that we should use breathable paint. However, understanding what 'breathable' is pretty tricky. So far my understanding is that it means 'non-vinyl'.

The room was (newly) painted withL

two coats of Dulux (Domestic, Waterbased) Matt (http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/dulux-melon-sorbet---matt-emulsion-paint---25l-188586).

To seal the plaster, I was thinking of using a tub of Leyland Contract White (£15 tub), which I have already, diluted 1w:9p as per its instructions for sealing porous surfaces.

I don't mind going out and getting a better primer/base coat (e.g Leyland Super Leytex Matt Paint Brilliant White 15Ltr, "the permeable film allows new plaster surfaces to breathe and dry out".). But I am going to be a bit circumspect about not being able to colour match the rest of the wall.

I would really appreciate any advice? (I will ask the plaster/surveyor as well)

2. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Leave for a month? Never heard that. You can start to prepare it straight away with breathable paint

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

What paint do you think they use on 'DIY SOS'.....whole house altered, plastered. painted in one week?

4. echelon101

echelon101 Member

Thank you for your quick responses

The work was to cut back all the plaster to the brick, cement-sand-waterproof mix and then it's going to be a skim on top of that. Also had a DPC installed.

What does breathable mean? Can you please link a product to me. Thanks a lot.

5. echelon101

echelon101 Member

Left with this. Nice and smooth.

Attached Files:

6. echelon101

echelon101 Member

Parts of the plaster are wetting up, which is annoying and have informed supplier.

For the wall paint, I am thinking Dulux Supermatt (mist) with Earthborn on top. I am hoping that the Grasshopper shade will match with the Dulux Melon Crush but I have a nasty feeling that it won't, requiring a full repaint.