sealing osb3 board edges after cutting

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by c j beattie, Apr 5, 2017.

1. c j beattie

c j beattie New Member

hi

i am replacing the some shed panels on my shed with osb3 boards, and i read that the edges where you cut you have to seal up if they are going to be outside.. Exterior Caulk, or would nomorenails be better?

thanks

cj

2. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

An exterior sealant would be better. Although OSB 3 is water resistant, once water gets into the edges and stays there, the boards will start to deteriorate

3. c j beattie

c j beattie New Member

will exterior caulk not do the job or what do you suggest?

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

No! use a tubed silicon or Thompsons water seal.

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

For heaven's sake. Tar/roofing felt adhesive/bitumen!

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

For Handyandy's sake. No to Nomorenails and no to exterior caulk but yes to both if you want it to fail!

7. c j beattie

c j beattie New Member

Jesus guys, novice diy people and people needing advice come here for advice and help not for sarcasm! and anger!

if I knew what to put on the edges I wouldn't need to come here and ask in the first place would i ?

after the belated advice i am going to try
    Black Bituminous Paint

8. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Don't be touchy, their advice was tongue in cheek.

Rick1632 and Astramax like this.
  9. c j beattie

c j beattie New Member

touchy? because I came here for help not for sarcasm? nope that's just logical .. stop justifying illogical irrational behaviour please.. the sarcasm and anger would be warranted if they assumed I knew what I was talking about and was still asking for help and advice but I clearly don't so it isn't its just 'wrong'

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

No body was being sarcastic towards you and nobody was angry other than you so yes you are touchy.

11. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

No, you're being touchy. That's the downside of typing on a computer, emotions and 'in jokes' lost in translation.

Rick1632 likes this.
  12. fostyrob

fostyrob Screwfix Select

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p18859?table=no

When you need to waterproof something you can't go wrong with bitumen...unless you want to paint over it or waterproof your favourite jacket and as an added bonus is cheap as chips (not the above)

13. Answer was as early as post 4.

Probably just wasnt the answer you wanted ?

14. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

The answer was in 2, he didn't like the answer as early as 3 :rolleyes:

Deleted member 164349 likes this.
  15. I agree.

But in post 4 an actual product type was mentioned, your comment whilst understood by most with experience probably wasnt specific enough for him.

Just giving the benefit of the doubt.

But by post 4 he had 2 answers

Astramax likes this.
  16. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

Wrap the osb, batten and fit cladding. That's the best longterm protection for osb

17. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

18. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

19. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I suspect the OP was hoping to do the job with some leftovers from his shed, I can't see him splashing out that much, or that he will ever come back :)