Sealing outside wooden window frame

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Troy Bison, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Troy Bison

Troy Bison New Member

Evening all. This is my 1st house ( built 1934) & I'm just getting started in DIY. I found that the brown silicone sealant around outside of kitchen window has deteriorated & wooden sill beginning to rot in corner by bricks & mortar. After poking around I found the mortar to be crumbling away & has broken up badly in the gap visible below - which goes back several inches, as far as some white insulation stuff. The photo maybe doesn't show how deep it goes due to the angle.

I have started by applying Ronseal wood hardener to the end of the wooden sill after cutting away the small amount of softened damp wood.

My question is how can I repair this? Should I fill the gap up with mortar (any particular product suggestions welcome, as I've never bought mortar or mixed cement). I've seen people suggest using 'expanding foam' - is that an option too?
    I assume that it would make sense to apply a thin waterproof silicone sealant layer on the outer surface also.

The pointing between the bricks lower is also crumbling away in places - can that be filled with the same type of mortar?

Any help welcome. Cheers.

2014-10-15 15.52.42s.jpg

2. Troy Bison

Troy Bison New Member

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

T0 repair the pointing you can use a mixture of cement ans building sand. I think B&Q do building sand in White (25Kg), which would match your existing coloured mortar. You could buy a smaller bag of cement as you wont need that much. Never use the ready mixed stuff so can't recommend. Don't use foam filler as it can spoil the bricks if not use carefully.

Am ratio of 4:1 (i.e 4 sand to 1 cement). A few drops of fairly liquid to act as a plasterciser will ensure you have a nice aerated mix.

Troy Bison likes this.
  4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You have a few problems there as you say but they are a bit bigger than beginner DIY.

5. Troy Bison

Troy Bison New Member

Thanks Jitender, I'll try mixing mortar as you suggest. I'll try just filling a small gap in pointing lower down 1st & see how I go as I imagine it takes a bit of practice....

6. Troy Bison

Troy Bison New Member

I ended up using a 5kg tub of Lafarge 'ready to use' mortar which was plenty - I used the rest to do some re-pointing & to reset a paving slab.
    window_repair_mortar_800px.jpg

Used some brown silicone sealant & repainted woodfiller with Ronseal wood stain. That should keep the rain off for a few years I hope!

window_repair_final_800px.jpg