Sealing rough/dusty plaster?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Flame, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Flame

Flame Member

any suggestions on what i can use to seal rough and dusty plaster before papering?

We've removed the old paper but it has taken off a thin layer (not the skim as i don't think it was skimmed prior to papering last time) which has left rough and dusty plaster. You can rub the majority of the dust off by hand but it'll still need sealing with a good coat or 2 of something, any suggestions on a product i can use, ta!

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

3. Flame

Flame Member

4. Flame

Flame Member

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Can paint directly on it or wallpaper directly on it, might need lining paper first, if walls are bad.
    Usually can get away with one coat, but I have occasionally applied two, if it really soaks in.

Look at the Technical Data in link I gave.

EVERBUILD STABILISING SOLUTION is a specially formulated microscopically fine polymer emulsion which penetrates deeply into dusty/chalky and badly weathered surfaces to leave a stable sound base for subsequent decoration with paint/wallpaper/tiling etc. Suitable for both interior and exterior use over plaster, rendering, pebbledash,, stucco, existing painted surfaces, brickwork, blockwork etc.

http://www.everbuild.co.uk/image/data/Building Products/406 Stabilising Solution.doc

6. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

You've been dying to recommend that all week Kiab! ;) :D

KIAB likes this.
  7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Just wish our host or TS stocked it, as my local sources for it, are get less by the week, might have to put in an online order for it.:(

But, it's a darn good product,like Stixall, but the 406 sorted the distemper ceilings here, save me a lot of work,have used gallons of it here on the walls as well.:)

CGN likes this.
  8. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Artex stablex is the same as sandtex exterior primer or wickes own brand exterior primer. White. Smells the same. Waterbased. Looks the same. Dose same job. May be made by same factory..

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Astramax likes this.
  10. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Awful price,so £44 for two & one free, I can buy Everbuild 406 at £8 for 5 ltrs, so £24 for three, I save £20 over wickes prices.

12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Uni Bond inexpensive, thinned down @ 5:1 ;):D:rolleyes:

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

PVA,no good for painting on...:rolleyes:

14. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Yeah. Guess your right. Never used 406 Everbuild myself. I used to use stablex for years until I was not able to get it anymore. Used sandtex for a while but that stuff cost to much. I'll give the 406 ago. I think I know where I can get it. Save myself a packet

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

406 is very good, stripped off wall paper in several bedrooms here, paint underneath was distemper type paint, colour rubbed off on your hand if wet, also dusty, 406 sealed it perfectly for painting.

Where are you.

16. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Ok. I'll try it. Amazing times with all this stuff available. Hard to keep up with it all. Hence I'm at this forum. Lol

Astramax likes this.
  17. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I know that I assumed (evidently wrongly) that he was going to line the walls.;) Had he been intending to line then spot on :)......off to Specsavers now!:oops:

KIAB likes this.
  18. Flame

Flame Member

I''ve bought my 406 off Amazon, £12 for 5L, more than the £8 you're paying but with free next day delivery it was more convinent for me at the time! Cheers