Sealing stainless steel sink to worktop

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by sorethumb, Aug 4, 2015.

1. sorethumb

sorethumb Member

I've seen it mentioned that fitters apply silicone in addition to the supplied foam seal on a stainless steel sink as a 'belt and braces' measure. Is this just for sinks that come with a roll of thin foam 'draught excluder' type sealing only ? The sink I'm fitting has a pre-fitted continuous rubber seal which is round in section and approx 10mm dia. The sink itself uses plenty of clips (16 all round) and it looks as if this should provide a really good seal without adding silicone - which I'd rather not use - or should I still add silicone. Incidentally I've given the exposed worktop edges 3 coats of PVA wood adhesive too. Thank you for any responses.

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Most sinks I fit tend to be cheap and cheerful so I always add a bead of clear silicone in addition to the foam. Wonder wipes are your friend with any thing to do with applying silicone...makes cleaning off the excess so much easier. A real game changer IMO. I hate silicone, but when you start thinking about it, we take it for granted and couldn't do half has much without it!

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Got given a tub of Wonder wipes, & I have to admit I'm impress with them.:oops::oops:

Even though there a sealing strip on a sink, I still apply a bead of silicon.

CGN likes this.