Selecting cable size according to tabulated cable calculation

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by MartSpark, Sep 6, 2005.

1. MartSpark

MartSpark New Member

Hi - I need some help with understanding the Regs with regards to selecting cable size when the tabulated cable rating has been worked out after applying the correction factors (It=In/CF's)

Say a single core cable has thermal insulation surrounding it for most of it's length (method 4), such that Ci=0.5, and is protected by a 20A fuse (not 3036), then:
    It=20/0.5=40A
    now when looking up what cable size is suitable i.e. Table 41D1, should you select the cable size from the Method 4 column (thermal insulation), or the Method 1 column (clipped direct) ?

Method 1, 40A cable = 6mm sq
    Method 4, 40A cable = 10mm sq

in Brian Scaddan's book he chooses Method 1, however I've seen more or less the same example done differently in another book by using Method 4 as you might logically think was the way to do it. However - Method 1 would seem to make sense because the cable has already been derated by the calculation ?

it's confused the hell out of me, which is the right choice ??!!

many thanks in advance, got my 2381 exam tomoro

2. Wilb

Wilb New Member

I think you're confusing method 4 with 'completely surrounded by insulation'.

I read 523-04 as saying that you either use method 4 (in contact with thermal conductor on one side) OR you use the derate, applying it against method 1.

As you say, applying both would be contrary.

3. MartSpark

MartSpark New Member

I never knew that - many thanks for making it clear