Self Cleaning Masonary paint?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Virtual Voodoo, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Virtual Voodoo

Virtual Voodoo New Member

Anyone used this new Self-Cleaning Masonry paint by Johnstone's yet?

Am considering using it for some new rendering?

2. Burlington Bertie

Burlington Bertie New Member

''Unique nano particle technology'' ?????

Pehaps it also paints itself :^O

3. Goodwill

Goodwill Member

Anyone used this new
    Self-Cleaning Masonry
    paint by Johnstone's yet?

Am considering using it for some new rendering?

I haven't used this product but I notice that the manufacturer claims a fifteen year life expectancy before re-coating is required.

I have applied many different exterior wall paints over the years but the only one which I observe on a regular basis is the one on my own house. I last painted the pebbledash fifteen years ago with Dulux Weathershield Smooth in Sandstone and it still looks good with no obvious defects.

Follow good working practise, use a good quality product, keep to the manufacturers instructions and you will most probably get a fifteen year job from most exterior wall paints.

The 'microscopic nano particles' b****s in the Johnstone's product blurb I think merely refers to the method of measurement used which relates to the size and shape of the particles in a composite system. In other words Johnson's are claiming; very fine equals very high performance in both adhesion, cohesion and surface tension.

Going a long way back, I remember so called self-cleaning paints being used in industrial work. In reality these paints were formulated to chalking prematurely and so would look good throughout the main period of their life expectancy.

Pigments such as white lead and titanium have a tendency to chalking as does lithopone (not generally a good idea to use in exterior paint). Cheap paints often start chalking very early because they often contain excessive amounts of the extender Barytes.

However, Johnstone's claim their product is not prone to chalking but instead relies upon it's extremely smooth surface finish. I would take a guess that they have used a modified silicone resin in this paint.

Anyway,I shall give it a try at the next appropriate opportunity to see how it performs.

4. robbiedaywork

robbiedaywork Member

are you having a laugh, you can paint with the best paint in the world and some are very much better than others but no paint is going to clean itself, it's like saying i have a self cleaning oven, oh yeah iv'e just done some roast spuds at 290c and the oven will clean all the fat off for me, dont think so, nice self cleaning paint and some filthy scro*t pi**es up it oh it's ok the paint will clean it up.

5. Goodwill

Goodwill Member

Consider the product within the bounds of reasonability not extremism. There are and have been other products within this catagory on the market such as Glidden Endurance 'Pliolite' Based Masonry Paint, and of course Leyland produced a similar product which also used 'Pliolite' which I believe is a Silicate/Acrylic resin. This new product by Johnson's may just be a modification of the Leyland branded paint or indeed the very same product.

6. sammy toaster

sammy toaster New Member

self cleaning paint? pleasss e. are you serious? like self cleaning glass, where does the dirt end up?.

7. Goodwill

Goodwill Member

Consider the product within the bounds of
    reasonability not extremism. There are and have been
    other products within this catagory on the market
    such as Glidden Endurance 'Pliolite' Based Masonry
    Paint, and of course Leyland produced a similar
    product which also used 'Pliolite' which I believe is
    a [Correction]: Latex/Acrylic resin. This new product
    by Johnson's may just be a modification of the Leyland
    branded paint or indeed the very same product.

8. mas 45

mas 45 New Member

I have used johnstones self cleaning paint.
    And its really good it does self clean its self .When i used it about 4 years ago now it was on smooth render i been back to price next doors up it looked as good as when i
    First painted it.
    The only thing is cant tell you about on rough masonry as it will catch dirt in the texture