Self driving wood screws

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by spike47, Jan 22, 2015.

1. spike47

spike47 Member

Hi

I have a bit of a query regarding the use of self driving wood screws ,
    the joiner doing my stud walls in a new build is using the full thread Screws with no shank to screw 70*50 timber together ,
    now my question is how can the timber be pulled together if there is still thread in both of the joints ,
    I would of thought that the timber to be screwed on would need a screw with a plain shank ( attached pic )
    at least longer that the depth of the timber to be fixed ,
    otherwise it will not be able to pull into each if there is a thread of the screw in both joints ! .

Attached Files:

2. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

For that kind of joining, I use a set of clamps on the timbers and then do the screwing.

3. Sunto64

Sunto64 Member

Modern screws are fantastic on wood like the stud work you mentioned and with a little help from an impact drill its icing on the cake. I have one dislike only my opinion they are realy dedicated to wood . So I still use std cheap as chips screws for wall plugs and chipboard as the fixing appears stronger . I would like to see your face if you saw metal stud being used .