Setting out problems

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by nikolas p, Jul 28, 2016.

1. nikolas p

nikolas p New Member

Hello people,
    i am working on a new school project and i have been given a survey drawing with coordinates which don't match the actual site. The drawing states 4 stations (nails) on the ground which i went on site and located the 2 out of 4.
    When checking the distance on site between the two known points it is 20mm difference to what the drawing says.
    I am using a Robotic Total Station TS12. When i do known backside set up by importing the 2 points, setting up over the one point and shooting over to the other known point i get the same results on autocad when i plot.
    but again as stated above when i set up over a point a measure of to another one i get 20mm difference from the autocad .dwg distance .
    My guess is that the Total station scales the distance difference to the coordinates given, but would that affect any future setting out?
    Regards,
    Nikolas

2. Rob_bv

Rob_bv Active Member

The total station does not "scale" dimensions.

Are the two points pre-existing reference points that where you set up on one then use the other as a back-sight, or are these points that you are installing from scratch?

Are the heights of your TS and target properly programmed in to the TS? What type of target are you using (the large poles are worthless for precision work)?

3. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Do what I watched a "skilled surveyor " do on a school project many years ago. He looked at the drawing, took a few dozen steps into a field, threw a brick down and said "That's the start point for the north west corner."

Deleted member 33931 likes this.