sewers etc

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by joinerjohn, Mar 10, 2008.

1. joinerjohn

joinerjohn New Member

Who would I get in touch with to find out where sewers run on or near my property? Missus has just phoned in tears as we have a slight blockage on ours. To cut a long story short she's had Aquajet out and the bloke has told her it runs under the kitchen. Which to me sounds like a bit of scaremongering to get money out of her for unneccessary work. FYI this is an end terraced victorian house, and downhill direction is <u>away</u> from the kitchen.

2. big all

big all Screwfix Select

if its a shared drain and the house is built before 1938 i think it is its the councils responcibility

big all

3. big all

big all Screwfix Select

4. J.T. Builders Ltd

J.T. Builders Ltd New Member

Have you got it unblocked?

5. joinerjohn

joinerjohn New Member

Thanks lads. Drain now unblocked and surprise surprise it does run under the kitchen to the sewer at the back of the house. Going to have to have it re-routed eventually. The mug we bought the house had the kitchen extended. I'm going to get in touch with the council and see if this was passed by BC. If it wasn't then we could be in deep **** literally, although we have lived there for the last 9 yrs. Will keep you updated on progress.
    Once again , thanks
    ps at least the missus has stopped crying.

6. Hugh Jaleak

Hugh Jaleak Member

Public Health Act 1936/37. All drains laid before this date that serve more than one property are the responsibility of the water authority. Although in some areas local councils maintain the sewers under a licence agreement with the water authority.

Id keep quiet about it for now, if BC decide works were not done to regs they could insist you put it right...

7. J.T. Builders Ltd

J.T. Builders Ltd New Member

Is it just the 4" drain running from the sink to the main run / sewer?

also you need to know why it got blocked.

and there isn't any problem with it running under the buildings, if it is linteled over etc.

8. Mr GrimNasty

Mr GrimNasty Active Member

And BC couldn't give a monkey's about something that happened so long ago (and is probably completely acceptable) anyway.