Sharpening wood chisels - any tips please?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by diymostthings, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Search Lie Nielson on U tube and watch Deneb Puchalski go through the sharpening process for probably the best chisels ever made.
    You have house bashers who sharpen chisels on worn out oil stones and then you have the artisans like Sellars,Rob Cosman , Frank Klaus or Puchalski who will leave chisel edges to below 1 micron with Japanese stones.

retiredsparks likes this.
  2. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

What do they say when you're in a deep hole?......Stop digging! The OP only wanted advice on sharpening his chisels so that he could fit some hinges. :D

3. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I have worked with all kinds of people over the years and I have to be honest, it matters not one jot how you sharpen all that matter is getting them sharp.

I have known people spend hours and hours messing around to get chisels "scary" sharp and its nearly always just to show off.

Sharpest chisels I have ever known were done by a Zimbabwean fella. He used no oilstone, no honing guide, no waterstone nothing. He used a bog standard bench grinder with a stone one end and a polishing wheel the other. He used to grind an approx. 25 degrees bevel and then polish it on the wheel with a bit of soap. Set of 5 in about 5 minutes! Others will say its cowboy, but his work was amazing! It worked and was unconventional but who cares!

Tools are for using. Those in the game know that. I sharpen up like my Zimbabwean mate now. Those who spend days and days getting the perfect edge would be better off concentrating on producing work rather than sharpening up.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
    Welshdragon1 likes this.
  4. Welshdragon1

Welshdragon1 Active Member

Perhaps you'll produce a video of the procedure ;) ;) ??

5. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

He runs this...
    https://woodworkingschool.com/
    Mebbe you should join and learn about real woodworking. Its never too late.[/QUOTE]

Ryluer....I agree with you. Altho, for most standard work simple sharpening is sufficient.(after initial full tune up)
    You must remember carpenters are not cabinet makers..BIG difference.
    If you are working with hardwoods...see how far a bluntish chisel will get you...lol
    If anyone has seen a good slaughterman working ...see how many times he needs to retouch his knife.
    If anyone has seen a fast sashimi chef....that's a sharp knife !
    RS

6. Welshdragon1

Welshdragon1 Active Member

How many times does a barber sharpen his cut throat, whilst giving you a shave ;)

7. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

I have the Veritas Mk.II Honing System and Camber Roller now.
    Makes a very accurate micro bevel and each time you re-sharpen you just hone the micro bevel. Which in my case I'm just using 2500 grit car body sandpaper with a DMT Dia-Sharp Coarse Continuous Diamond Whetstones as a base plate. Makes a nice well defined and accurate mirror edge.

When I have the shekels saved up I'll add a set of Sigma Japanese water stones to the kit.