Shattering capping

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by peter palmer, Feb 18, 2015.

1. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

What make do you guys use as I am sick of the stuff shattering every time I try to nail it on the wall, I have used various makes and they are all the same. The only one that is any good is the MK one from B&Q but its 90p a 2m length, no discount either for trade point.

Phil the Paver likes this.
  2. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

I use galvanized metal. Plastic is always going to shatter because its brittle.

3. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

I use oval conduit now. Did use metal but now it would come under the "a cable concealed in a wall or partition the internal construction of which includes metallic part" this it would seem is going to change a bit with amendment 3 but I did not want to be limited by the includes metallic part rules so avoided and metal covering which did not lend itself to being earthed.

4. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Not so, MGW. This has never been the case. Not even with the new AMD3. The metal capping is not part of the wiring system, its just a cover. The internal construction refers to the cable itself, say like an SWA. Metal capping doesn't need earthing either. This was debated at length when 17th edition was first published. I use it all the time.

Regards

5. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Earthed metal capping has never been acceptable for dispensing with an rcd for buried cables.

6. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Never use it. Cable under dot and dab walls needs no capping - Just clip tightly to the wall.

In chases, oval conduit, held in with drywall screws and red plugs (not screwed through).

7. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Never used oval conduit. I'm used to galv capping; it is straightforward. Even behind dot-and-dab. I use red plugs and large head clout nails to pinch the edges to the wall.

8. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I don't often use capping or oval conduit, just plaster straight over, there again I always plaster my own chases in, I don't risk plasterers slicing my cables with their trowels!

9. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

I know you don't need to use capping, however its great when the customer or someone like the kitchen planner changes their mind and you can get the cables in and out with no damage, had to do this just last week when it all changed.

As for clipping, half the time you can't get the clips to stay in the block or mortar its so **** poor nowadays, a length of capping takes 30 seconds to install with masonry nails. Galv is too expensive, same with oval really, plastic capping is perfect, its just that recently they have obviously changed the polymer or whatever and made it brittle instead of pliable.

CED is the worst for this, I have even had the round conduit shatter by this lot when I have tried to bend it.

10. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Have a bradawl handy to make a hole first. Pointed with square shaft.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

11. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I've always use galvanised capping, it may be a bit more expensive than plastic, but when doing a job the cost is minimal.

the advantage of using metal trim is that once plastered you can use a magnet to locate the wires etc.

unphased and Biffo like this.
  12. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Coming on here with your new-fangled and fancy la-di-da ways.
    Who d'you think on here can afford one of those all-singing and dancing bradawls then?
    Batteries in it probably don't last a minute either.

Makes my blood boil, it does. ;)

seneca likes this.
  13. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

To answer the OP:

With the majority of my work (say 80%) I don't use capping as I work with the same team of plasterers the whole time.

When I'm carrying out work and leaving it to others to plaster (ie customer is using a builder that I don't normally work for but has asked for me to do the work as they're previous customers of mine) then I cap or oval tube.

With capping into light block/soft brick/soft mortar it's just screw into wall with drill/impact driver (doesn't crack it IMO). Or heavy brick, then as per UP - plug and clout nail. Oval likewise, but held with angled screws.

14. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

:)

15. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

He's not saying that it's part of the wiring system.
    He's saying that using metal capping is the same as having metal studs in a partition wall.
    As to what difference that would make, is anyone's guess.
    Use of oval conduit would still require the cables to be provided with RCD protection.

16. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

So do you think that using metal capping is the same as having metal studs in a partition?

17. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

The Emma Shaw Case (Google it) was down to metal studs. And that in large part brought in the Schemes and 'Part P' Notification'

Metal studs by default reach down to floor level from ceiling (and extend the whole length of wall section) , which is why she unfortunately died when that section of wall became live (mopping water up from floor).

I myself don't see how a length of capping in a wall constitutes such a risk as large as that of metal stud framework.

But I don't see why metal capping should be used because of the number of cases I've seen of jagged edges snagging sheaths, sections of wall made live by homeowners putting pictures etc up (no RCD, older installations). Plastic capping obviates these risks.

I always double over the ends of a metal capping to give a smooth edge so snagging can't possibly happen (It can be a matter of weeks before the plasters get in on some jobs after my 1st fix, and alls orts can and do happen to how the cables were as I left them in that time.) Plastic capping is so much easier.

18. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

Emma Shaw's case had nothing to do with Part P.
    Her death occurred after Part P was introduced.

19. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

My bad... Friday night. Mary Wherry Case, badly routed cable. Apologies.

20. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

I think there was another case, some workmen drilled into metal studs through a cable and some bloke got fried fitting a door. I think the cable was even in a permitted zone. I think.