Shaver point buzzing

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Retlas, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Retlas

Retlas New Member

Hi, I have a shaver socket that buzzes and is slightly warm all the time ( when not in use) I assumed that when not in use they would be dead. As I have two and the second one does not make a buzzing/ get warm do I have a problem.

Advise would be appreciated

2. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Depends on the type/brand. On some, the transformer is permanently energised and a small amount of power is used which creates the warmth you can feel. Others, have a switch or detector on the input and they are only energised when a device is plugged in.

The buzzing is often caused by a a component being loose or transformer laminations slightly separating which means that as the 50Hz AC continually changes the magnetic field there are vibrations at around 100Hz which is what you can hear.

3. Retlas

Retlas New Member

Many thanks

4. Smokey

Smokey Active Member

Assuming it's a traditional (Toroidal ) not electronic transformer, could well be harmonics vibrating; have you looked inside to see if practical to mount the transformer part on rubber washers to absorb the vibrations?

5. Pollowick

Toroidal - you must be joking. Everyone I have seen uses cheap E-I laminations.

TP&N likes this.
  6. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Change it for an MK one. They only energise when something is plugged in to the shaver socket.

7. Pollowick

And make sure it is the newer MK one ... they will do electric toothbrush charging too.

8. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

replacement time

9. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

I thought I had suggested that! ;)

10. Retlas

Retlas New Member

Thank you all, very helpful. Turns out that the unit has little flaps behind the plug holes and when they are open with the plug the unit is activated. The little flaps were stuck open from the last use and when the clicked back the buzzing stopped and the unit cooled down. I will buy a new unit.

All the help enabled me solve this matter and learn something, so again thanks all.

R

11. Pollowick

What brand? Some, such as MK have 10 year warranty.

12. TP&N

TP&N Active Member

Sticking shutters , a job for a little and I mean a little Silicone grease, Or a little Mr Sheen that stuffs full of silicone.

13. tina lucinda lane

tina lucinda lane Screwfix Select

hope the power was off or you used something plastic to poke the shutters with

14. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Could he get a shock from doing that? Surely the reason for UK 'shaver points' is their separation from the earthed supply side.

15. tina lucinda lane

tina lucinda lane Screwfix Select

metal object into the live pin socket i though you become the earth but hey you want try that go ahead then tell us what your hair dresser charged you for re doing your hair do (know i wouldnt take the risk)

16. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Alex, these sockets are supplied via an isolating transformer so there is no path back to earth. Exactly the same as the transformers used for power tools. The only risk of shock is via line to neutral on the output side.

Kind regards

17. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

That's because you are a bit short of understanding. Maybe this will help

[​IMG]

You cannot get a shock from that. As my alter-ego says, there is no path to earth. You are just like a bird on a HV cable. No shocking experience.

Your only shock opportunity is to shove one metal thing in one socket hole and another into the other hole and grab hold of them both.

sparky Si-Fi and Bazza-spark like this.
  18. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Nicely done.

Kind regards

19. ZeZs

ZeZs New Member

Replaced a faulty shaver socket today, went for an MK. The shaver socket was wired directly into the lighting circuit, no independent isolator. Nothing unusual about that, it was done a long time ago......

Driving home and i am trying to decide if I should, to keep in line with regs, install a switch.

In an ideal world I would, no problem, but customer does not want the additional expense.

Thoughts and feelings appreciated.
    Thanks.

20. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

Could do with a dual 230V outlet on them and ditch the 115 for the UK market, I mean who still uses electric shavers! 'orrible things

Its a pain in the **** as its sat there looking at ya with two toothbrushes on a swop shop routine