Shed/Cabin base - 6x3M - Whats the best approach???

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Bellvecchio, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Bellvecchio

Bellvecchio New Member

Hi All

First time on here.
    Need some advice regarding a base I'm going to make in the next month.

Its for a timber cabin 6 x 3m's that'll be used for a mancave - nothing majorly heavy in there, fruit machine, drinks bar, fridge, freezer,sofa bed, and seats etc...(plus the timber itself which I plan to double-skin 11mm OSB either side of a 2x3" frame and then clad with featheredge panels).

I'm doing it myself, and havent done this before - I'm a moderate DIYer, and assume that a concrete base would be best. I have given concrete piers a thought though too - I installed my decking like this and 7 years later it is still absolutely solid, however, I want to be sure about this before proceeding...??

I'd planned to build a form, with 3M 8x2's, use sub base to about 4 inches, pack that down and a then put 4 inch slab on top - only thing is access. I'm in a terrace house with long garden so getting all the aggregates unmixed will be a time consuming ball-ache (not to mention the back ache). I have read about mixamate but not sure what the cost would be, and if they could cater for a run of about 50m's?

For a slab this size would I need to put rebar in the base too?
    I'm looking to keep costs down - I'm not looking for the cheapest option, just the best value for money approach, and I'm not afraid of hard work should aggregates method be the best option and I have to 'barrow it down the garden all day!!!

Cheers!!

2. moppylhd

moppylhd Member

Walk it.

3. Mr Jenks

Mr Jenks Member

Always lay a concrete base IMO but dont forget to install the pipe for the electric cable!

Happy digging and barrowing

4. Chaaaaarming... (In response to Moppy... :) )

Bell', I suspect it'll come down to personal choice, as well as issues like how permanent do you want it to be? Ok, you are probably thinking long-term enough, and imagining there will never come a time when you'll remove it, but if you decide to, then a large concrete slab is gonna be a barsteward.

I'm pretty sure I would go for concrete pillars, but that's a personal choice - I don't like concrete and I love timber.

Obviously the floor structure would need planning carefully, but with an adequate number of pillars this shouldn't be an issue. 3m spans wouldn't even need central supports, tho' you may wish to use smaller joists along with central pillars.

And the little concreting required would be an easy mixer job. What is your ground like? How deep do you have to go?

5. Bellvecchio

Bellvecchio New Member

Cheers for the replies...

I definitely prefer timber over concrete, but I am thinking long term. Whilst it'll be a mancave/bar etc the view is, if ever we move it'll help to add value to the house in that it could easily become a home office for someone...

The ground is actually 'bowl-shaped' not too bad, but would take a bit of work to level it first. One reason why pillars might be easier as I'm thinking any surface round the cabin will naturally drain towards the centre of the bowl if its not levelled properly.

Would I need to add rebar to a slab that size if I did go that route, or would 4 inch deep not really need it?

I'm more than happy to put the effort in and barrow it all through, but I'll take the point on board about ever getting rid of a slab that size - I think I'd rather sell up to save myself the grief!!! :0)

6. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

If you concrete it, add A142 mesh at 50mm from the top.

Jitender likes this.
  7. If you are really going 'slab', don't forget the insulation layer...

8. Beattsmjk

Beattsmjk New Member

Hi, I've just built a 5m x 3m log cabin and had the same quandry at the beginning.

In the end I laid decking slightly larger than the cabin and it looks great. I went over kill on support posts but it is very strong and looks much better than concrete or slabs.

Yeah it's more expensive but I can use the decking as the floor for the shed.

Just make sure you use pressure treated timber for the deck.

Good luck

9. Sounds good, Beat.

So, you dug out and filled in some found support pillars? Or what?

Any chance of some photos, please?

10. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Yeah photos would be good beat :)

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Some ready mix concrete firms now have conveyor mixer truck, which can reach up to 42', used one for my workshop base, saved a lot of barrowing.:)

http://www.tormultimix.com/conveyor

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015

12. Wait a minute - the floor of the shed is also 'decking'?! Sounds (a) draughty, and (b) as though it'll have running water... :(

13. Beattsmjk

Beattsmjk New Member

Nah it'll be fine lol.

I've decided I'm going to insulate the floor now along with the rest of the cabin.

In terms of running water, the entire deck is more or less covered by the roof of the cabin, but you raised a good point.

I'll dig out some pics and post them soon.