Shed Help

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Hutcho, Nov 9, 2014.

1. Hutcho

Hutcho New Member

i have had a 20 x 10 foot shed delivered the concrete base is 21 x 11 water is standing on the concrete and rotting the bearers. I have put guttering on the longer lengths and they are draining into a water butt. any suggestion to stop the water getting under the shed please.

2. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

if waters holding on the base, its not level, so build the base on bricks or blocks to keep it off the water,

3. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

I take it the shed is already up, if so could you not but a dpm skirt around the bottom of it so the water runs away from the shed.

Something like this.

ae235.jpeg

Hutcho likes this.
  4. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

It does not help that the base is bigger than the shed. If it has been delivered recently then the bearers won't rot overnight. Are they treated? As Tom says the bearers need to be on bricks or concrete blocks ideally with some DPC on top. Have you actually erected the shed? If so you could try lifting it bit by bit (empty!) with a hydraulic car trolley jack( if you have room) or you could get an assistant to lever it up. Say start off by putting 2 x 1 timber all round at each end of the bearers and build these up until you can get 3 inch tall bricks in there. Might be an idea to take any glass out first. Otherwise you will have dismantle the shed and start again. These are just the views of an enthusiastic amateur.

5. Hutcho

Hutcho New Member

Thank you how would you put the DPM on I assume you can staple it to the shed but what about the concrete, I can't raise it up to put bricks under I just didn't think this would be a problem many thanks

6. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

How big are your bearers? I am assuming that these are in addition to the shed floor "joists". If your bearers are say 2 x 3 timber you could always put some more under after first treating them thoroughly and treat ( no pun intended) the originals as sacrificial. i.e. just replace them as necessary. They should tap in with a lump hammer. If you have got standing water underneath then you need plenty of draught underneath to minimise wet rot.