Shed Roof: Which material?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by IIABDFI, Oct 23, 2010.

1. IIABDFI

IIABDFI Member

Our shed roof is leaky again but this is now the third time that I have had to replace the felt.... I am wondering if there is another material that would be longer lasting and save me having to do this every few years...

Any recommendations?

Thanks in Advance.

2. G Brown

G Brown New Member

Fix the felt properly next time! It needs sticking in place, not just tacks.

3. Mr GrimNasty

Mr GrimNasty Active Member

Yep, just throw an off-cut of EPDM/butyl pond liner over it, fix with nailed strips of wood on the sides. Never need touching again. It is extremely tough, but can be permanently puncture repaired in the unlikely event.

4. ian anderson

ian anderson New Member

We found an agricultural merchant and bought some offcuts of green shallow box metal sheets for ours.

You know, the ones that get used by the mile on big industrial stores/farm buildings etc.

It looks great and the deep green blends in nicely and it cost peanuts.

Just screwed them on with the special rubber washered screws and job was done in no time and will last virtually forever.

5. IIABDFI

IIABDFI Member

place, not just tacks.

--------------------------------------------

Hm. The felt was well fixed it is just that the local wildlife has a habit of scratching at the apex and causing issues. I might just re-ridge it but that's to the others for the interesting ideas.

6. Mof

Mof Guest

I take it you have been using "shed" felt, if you get some heavy mineral surfaced felt it will last for years and years,I did my shed with ordinary thin shed felt once and I had to replace it due to ripping,the replacement felt I used was the heavy stuff and that was nearly 40 years ago and its still good and its just tacked on (every inch)

7. shampoo dave

shampoo dave New Member

Some of the replies were laughable.If you have a good solid shed,worth investing in and worth keeping for many years then get the tar-backed "torch on" felt and get it done by a flat-roofing company.(Cheap felt used first as an underlay)It looks a knockout when finished and will last longer than the shed itself.
    The cheaper option is to do it yourself(plus a mate) by using felt underlay widthways(tack every 6 inches with clout nails) and mineral felt longways (strips) (tack again)and clear mastic (translucent) on the overlap edges.
    Make sure you lay the felt tight to avoid air bubbles and rippled effect.Get the Mrs to pull the felt as you tack it.
    If you are not worried about the appearance or leaks then use the above mentioned replies.

8. Mr GrimNasty

Yes because felt is soooo attractive to look at, and none of the other ideas are actually used as roofing material anyway. Oh dear. Using any type of felt these days is like a Doctor prescribing leeches! Get with it and jiggy man.

9. Andy the roofer

Andy the roofer New Member

Ey up buddy.

I've been in the flat roofing game 25 years.

Without spending serious money on single ply, the best way forward is to invest in some half decent torch on green mineral felt. make sure it's reinforced and apply it with a propane gun ( you can hire them cheap). Cadge some propane and you're away.

You're probably looking under £100 for average size shed.

cheers

10. Mr GrimNasty

Funny how all the people with a vested interest in maintaining this archaic roofing method keep trying to promote it. Wake up, the world has moved on, adapt or die!

11. John Grimshaw

John Grimshaw New Member

You want a really cheap shed ? - Look for flush doors in skips. The owner of the skip will be pleased for you to take his rubbish away for free - but do ask!
    You will be able to get all the windows you can eat from the same source.
    You don't need a floor - cover the ground with pieces of plastic sheet, roofing felt etc. - any condensation or drips from bikes etc drains out through the layers but cannot return. This type of floor is good if you need to wheel anything into the shed, as there is no step up. If you need a 'proper' floor, use 18mm shuttering ply.
    Cover the walls outside with roofing felt held down with vertical slate battens or, if you want it to be pretty, make the wall frame from scant and cover it with 'Protect' from Screwfix with tannalised feather board on top.
    You CAN make the roof from old flush doors covered in good quality felt but a better roof is Protect and metal box form sheet - second hand is fine.

12. I bet that's what you call 'home'.

13. John Grimshaw

John Grimshaw New Member

Certainly is !