shed roofing felt - to nail or not to nail - that is the question

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by diymostthings, May 7, 2004.

1. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

Good morning everyone. My father in law tells me that modern practice is to use wooden battens (nailed in places) to hold down shed roof felt rather than the traditional way of nailing through the felt with clout nails at regular intervals. He says the latter inevitably causes leaks through the clout nails- despite the instructions on the rolls telling me to do this this way. Does anyone have a view?

With thanks

Peter

2. Charlie Far!ey

Charlie Far!ey New Member

Hey Peter you're both right!

A couple of points first

1 - If you fix battens they must be tanalised and laid vertically down the roof to prevent water being held and a bead of roofing mastic run along their length before fixing. This will squeze out when fixed and prevent water from being trapped under the battens.

2 - Modern roofing felts have an unusual property in sealing around the clout nails when penetrated and if you aren't sure then put a small dob of roofing mastic on the nail before fixing it. This sometimes gets messy so keep a rag handy to wipe the hammer head occasionally. Some prefer to put a spot on the felt where the nail is to go but its six of one and half a dozen of the other.

3 - If you are in a particularly exposed area where winds whip across then I would prefer the 'batten' option but it is a subjective issue.

Sit a level vertically on the ridge of the roof and using a mitre guage set the correct angle of cut at the mitre if the battens are used and do not cut the batten to length before dry fixing it - It is guaranteed that the ba@tard will be short.

Good luck

PS Make sure the roof is dry before fixing it and dont fall off.

Charlie
    :)

3. diymostthings

Charlie

Many thanks for your reply. - The perfect answer in that I could use either method and preserve good relations in the family!

I think I'll go for the clout nail option- I've heard that tanalised chemicals are very toxic to the environment.

With very best wishes

Peter

4. Dewy

Dewy New Member

The only trouble with tanalised timber is when cutting it with a power saw. It contains arsenic so a mask is needed also splinters from it could cause problems so make take it easy. Forwarned is forarmed.

5. diymostthings

Ok Dewy many thanks for that warning - much appreciated. Actually my job is to see what sort of toxic chemicals are produced when materials burn (either accidentally in home fires or on purpose in incinerators). Lots of tanalised timber goes into incinerators and my work has shown that most of the copper, chromium and arsenic stays in the ash rather than polluting the air. However I think that the ash is landfilled and may still cause environmental problems. I might make that my next piece of research!

With best wishes

Peter

6. Mof

Mof Guest

I know I am a bit late with a reply but the best way I have found for shed roofing felt is to use good quality mineral faced felt not the cheap black "shed" felt. The cheap stuff will not last very long and you will be doing it all over again in a few years. My shed roof was done with "shed" felt first and it lasted only about 6 or 7 years, the last time I did it with good stuff was about 28 or so years ago and it is still just the same as when it was applyed, I glue the joints with mastic and use clout nails every inch or so, the glued joints run down the roof, dont forget to let the felt overhang the bottom edge of the roof by at least 1/4 inch.

7. Charlie Far!ey

Charlie Far!ey New Member

Your spot on Mof. The tissue paper that is common on shed roofs doesnt last too long and worse still if you have cats that can get up there as they rip it to shreds. Better quality materials, better quality job.

8. diymostthings

Mof thanks for that. I was aware that it came in various qualities - i got 4 rolls from B and Q (10m per roll0 at £4.99 each - it tears very easily. I accept the problem with cats - we do have this but in addition we have flocks of crows who like the taste of it. I am assuming they like the taste of the expensive stuff as well and thats the main reason I am getting the cheap stuff!

Thanbks again for your reply

Peter

9. diymostthings

Thanks for your second response Charley. See my response to Moff. I'll install the cheap stuff and let you all know how it fared in 2 years time.

Thanks again

Peter

10. oggie

oggie New Member

throw your timber to cfuk
    and use Torch on
    then you dont need any nails
    local builders merchants approk £25 a roll

11. diymostthings

OK Oggie thanks for your reply. Well I was aware that you could do a Rolls Royce job with better quality felt - and I did know of the torch-on variety. However - pennies are at a premium at the moment so i need somethging to last just a few years. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Peter

12. jimothy

jimothy New Member

Great reply! very diplomatic too ;)

13. mof

mof Member

Well its been on now for about 7 years (2004 to 2012) so you will be doing it again, I told you to get the good felt?

14. davecroft

davecroft New Member

I don't know about it being the modern way to use battens. My dad was a joiner and he built his own shed over 40 years ago and that was the way he did it, but if I recall correctly the felt back then tore pretty easy.

I've put a few sheds together myself and the instructions for fixing the roofing felt always advise using galvanised clout nails, and they seem to work fine.

15. edmund

edmund Guest

over forty years ago , about as long as this thread

16. J.P.

J.P. New Member

Smallish Shed? - why not just double sheet it with heavy duty polythene sheet or DPM DIY? I just felt nailed the first layer on, and then struck a few beads of adhesive on and whipped on t'cap. The rails at the sides and front tighten it down ok. Bodgy? - well it saves messing with messy felt and stuff, and is considerably cheaper - you can see the shed in the pic with the green polythene sheeting on it.

[​IMG]

17. MrGrimNasty

MrGrimNasty New Member

I wouldn't use plastic unless it is UV stable. EPDM/other pond liners are great for sheds though.

18. diymostthings

Hi GW0MOF - I'm still here! (and the shed is still going strong in Wales - Swansea valley). The cheap felt failed just after 3 years and had to be replaced although I had to patch it before then - in one place after 18 months! Unfortunately the crows and magpies around here seem to like the taste of it which doesn't help! I replaced it with to better quality stuff from B and Q (can't tear it by hand). This has lasted up to now but looks a bit "tired". Thanks for your words of wisdom!

'73
    diymostthings (G0LQU)

19. I thought I was being clever using DPM to cover an old kitcar I have outside awaitng restoration. That was 5 years ago, and the sheet disintegrated about 2 years later. I still find little bits of blue plastic flying around my drive, and it crumbles into dust when you crush it.

20. diymostthings

Thanks for the idea JP. I would worry about wind lift off but it obviously worked for you. How long has your PE sheet been in place?

diymostthings