Shed Studs

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by deanalewis, Jul 1, 2014.

1. deanalewis

deanalewis Member

Hi Folks,

I am planning on building a new Shed down the line. Although I am competent about the tools and the work that I am about to undertake I do have a question

In my current shed the studs work out to be 3.5cm by 4.5cm can someone tell me what wood I should use for my new shed.

I am unable to find wood that is 35mm x 45mm, I am thinking 4 x 6?

Cheers,

Dean

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

4" x 6" is 100mm x 150mm and is a bit over the top for studwork. A better match would be 38mm x 63mm CLS, cheap and widely available.

3. vivaro man

vivaro man Active Member

Dean, 4"x6" what are you keeping in it, rhino's? That's way over the top even in my universe where I'm known as Captain Over the Top. Get down to a good timber yard and ask for 45mmx45mm in larch or spruce. That will do for all structural components. You can also make your sashes and your door out of it as well.

I should add that 45mmx45mm will not do for a flat pent roof. That will need to be decided on site. You can however make your trusses out of your standard stock. Joining of all truss components should be with plywood (12mm) or nail plates can be used. Your span should be no greater than for an 8'x6' shed. Any greater than that and you should consult for further advice.

Good luck.

4. joiner1959

joiner1959 Active Member

If Carlsberg were making sheds then 6X4!!!! For us mere mortals 3x2 cls will be fine.

5. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

what are the dimensions ? hight/width

roof style ?

6. unclemonkey

unclemonkey New Member

7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Most 45x45 I've had from timber merchants has been bowed and twisted, I don't know what it is about that particular size other than it's square section but it seems unstable.

8. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

here, have a banana

9. vivaro man

vivaro man Active Member

Chippie, I can only agree with you. There seems a little goblin in my workshop that ensures all 2x2 is bent, impossible to stack and likely to have shakes in it. Many yrs ago I was told to stack 2x3 and 2x2 together because it made it easier to handle. I certainly do if I'm taking onto a job.

6m lengths of 45mmx45mm now that's a headache!

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Whack a screw in 2x1 and it will split, whack a screw the same distance from the edge in 3x1 and it wont.