shock from switch

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Walt Systems, Oct 10, 2015.

1. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Pete - do you mean the law, or some checks the retailers are supposed to do? Reason i ask mate: i saw some carp in tradepoint the other day about gas cards for gas parts and wondered if something was going on. On a sort of related note, i saw some guy in halfords the other day buying brake pads who clearly had no idea whatsoever although had every intention on fitting them to his motor when he got home!

Walt Systems likes this.
  2. Not sure about the law surrounding the sale of gas parts, b and q only ever ask for proof of gas safe registration when your trying to return a faulty gas part, not when buying the thing.

As regarding the installer now having to commission the appliance this was in a gas safe bulletin a couple of months back. Not sure if it's a requirement yet or in the near future. As I always commission my own appliance and routinely refuse to commission the appliances of others I didn't pay a lot of attention to it.

3. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

If a Part P man signs off that is that is all that is needed.

4. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

Gas Safe come out with all sorts of ****. They are just a registration authority for professional gas men - nothing else.

5. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

Do not confuse these two:
    1. "breaking Electrical and Gas regulations".
    2. being uncertified.
    HSE are after those in No. 1 above, who fit equipment dangerously which can endanger life and injure. The prime concern of HSE is HEATH and SAFETY.

They will not run around to see if a guy is Part P or Gas Safe. They are after those who endanger life and compromise safety. And that includes those who are certified and those who are not certified.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  6. Someone who is part p cannot sign anything off. They have to notify building control before they start work. Building control will then decide what and when to test when the installation is complete. I'm part P registered and all it means is I don't chase runs too deep for cables and I don't fit sockets at an incorrect height. (At least this is what I was led to believe)

7. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

What do you mean by "part P registered"? Are you a member of a scam provider like NICEIC. People that are registered can go online after they have done a job, fill in a few details and a building completion notice gets sent to the client without any input from the local council nazi.

It seems more like you have paid for one of those 5 day wonder type courses where you end up with not much at all at the end of it.

FatHands and Walt Systems like this.
  8. I just have a part p city and guilds certificate. I don't routinely carry out electrical work, I'm a gas engineer so there is a small cross over between the two. I guess it just means I can safely run a cable from a cylinder stat to a wiring centre for example. Although I don't need any qualifications to work beyond the fused spur of the heating system a lot of companies are asking for the part P qualification.

Niciec (scam agreed) would want a lot more than part P registration before you could join them not that I have any attention of going down that route.

9. peter palmer

I still don't understand though what you mean by part p registration. Part P is just a document that covers certain building regulations, just like part M is for disabled etc or part L covers energy saving and such like.

Is it this sort of thing? https://www.tradeskills4u.co.uk/courses/part-p-domestic-installers-course

If you have the above you just have a qualification, you're not registered anywhere that allows you to do things that others are not.

There have certainly been a lot of ways to fleece people since "part P" has been in effect.

https://www.tradeskills4u.co.uk/courses/domestic-installer-course

Part P started in 2005, Tradeskiills4u started in 2005, their bank balance is in the hundreds of thousands, says it all really.

10. Pretty much that Peter, although not through them. Only reason I have it is a lot of heating companies insist on their gas engineers having a part P qualification I guess it means were unlikely to notch a 100mm joist, 50mm deep just to fit a stat cable.

11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It's a shame that we can't have a "I'm not a bluddy idiot" card. o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

12. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

Love the mussie!

13. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

So no need to notify Building Control.

14. Cheers Walt I had no idea about that. Ty.

15. peter palmer

If you notify on line with Elecsa or niceic etc, its them that notify the local council and send the building notice out to the client.

16. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

Building Control have latched onto the idea that certified men can do a part of their job without their intervention - farming it out. They are more concerned with the bricks, concrete and underground drainage aspects, not services per se.