Should F&E tank be filling with hot water

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by RobB85, May 20, 2017.

1. RobB85

RobB85 New Member

Hi, just looking for some advice. I recently noticed that an overflow pipe was regularly dripping outside. I went to the loft to investigate (thinking maybe a leaky or poorly adjusted ball cock valve). However, it seems to be because the feed and expansion tank is filling with hot water and the condensation is what is causing the drip.

Should the F&E tank be filling up with hot water? I don't know a huge amount about heating systems, but this doesn't seem right. Thanks in advance.

2. Sounds like the coil in the hot water cylinder has a pinhole in it.

3. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

What type/ make of boiler do you have.
    When you say F&E tank do you mean the small header tank or the large cold water storage tank?

4. RobB85

RobB85 New Member

The boiler is an Ideal Classic FF60, and it's the small header tank. Thanks.

5. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

With the heating and hot water turned off does the pump still run?
    If so it could just be a faulty zone valve (end switch).

6. RobB85

RobB85 New Member

No, the pump doesn't run unless something is turned on.

7. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

If there's lots of condensation in the header tank it could be pumping over.
    What speed is the pump at?

8. RobB85

RobB85 New Member

The pump is set at 2, it used to be set to 1, but was turned up because the last radiator in the loop downstairs wasn't getting hot.

9. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

I would try it back at 1.
    If the system is pumping over this will speed up corrosion in the system.
    If the system stops pumping over at speed 1 then careful balancing should solve the rad issue.