Should I be concerned? Garage Extension

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by libbiesmith, Aug 17, 2015.

1. libbiesmith

libbiesmith New Member

Hello! :)
    Looking to buy a house- and it is absolutely perfect- except when I walked into the garage and noticed the brick beams supported by pieces of wood (it also appears to be lacking a Lintel in the door?) I've attached some pictures to see. The garage ceiling is also at two different levels.

The garage has a 2nd storey extension above it.
    It was one of 3 extensions added onto the Edwardian house in the 1990s- strangely none of the extensions are on the same level and each require two steps down into the next area, but from the outside it all looks to be in line with each other (not quite sure why they couldn't make them all the same)

I don't particularly want to fork out the money for a surveyor to come and look at this point - so was looking at getting initial opinions from people who know more about it than I do! Should I be worried that the Garage Extension could have structural issues?

Thank you so much for any help :)

Attached Files:

2. The brick pier looks like a remedial structure put in place where something was previously.

Ensure that your solicitor checks that all extensions had planning permission prior to purchase or you could be paying for something that might have to be demolished.

Regarding a structural survey - obviously you don't want to spend money on one for every property you go to view, but for the one you are going to buy:

Astramax likes this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

And NOT done very well.

Also stepped levels in a extension would have me concerned, when there may be no apparant need for them.
    Wonder what else is hidden out of sight,& bodges you might find, property might end up being a money pit.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
    Astramax likes this.
  4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Totally agree with KIAB's and CPM's comments.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Even a structural survey won't tell you the whole story, a surveyor will only report on what he can see & can easily access, he ain't going to lift carpets to enable him to lift floorboards to check.

I think you would be better to walk away from this property, regardless how perfect it is to you.

6. seen it all before

seen it all before Active Member

I agree with all the above, from what you have seen and said you obviously have doubts, I would walk away now, it could be a can of worms you regret opening.

7. It's interesting how the OP had a gut feeling about this one to ask questions.

As they say, walk away.

seen it all before likes this.
  8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Seen it all before, knew person who despite asking for my advice, still bought the house, only to find so many faults with loft conversion & extension, missing steelwork, walls not tied in, etc,etc, the place was unsellable, cost them the best part of around 10k or so, to sort everything out.

seen it all before likes this.
  9. I hate to disagree with the above but i can't tell how bad it is from 2 pictures very hard to tell what it is holding up with alot more info and pictures and seeing what is above bits of wood but wouldn't be thosands to put bit of steel in there.
    could be lots of reasons why different levels if garage is attached to house it has to be at least 100mm lower than house level or soil conditions( only allowed max of 600mm fill under concrete)with out block and beam of for ceiling hights with bigger timbers than on house, if the house is prefect for you don't be put off until you know more if you know a very good builder you can rely on ask him to come look with you he will give you a good idea what is what, be much cheaper than some surveyer that hasn't a real clue

10. caveman, it was the fact that the building has been extended numerous times, it's likely the structural integrity of the host building has been significantly compromised.

Do builders know how to calculate structural integrity?

11. You are amazing knowing all that from those two pictures and the fact its had a couple of extentions yes a good builder could would know if the building is structurally sound in my opinion no disrespect to you just from my experience most surveyors i have come across don't really know alot about the real world

12. I have had the same experience with surveyors...

No one here said we know all that from two pics. The OP wants to know if they should be concerned that there is no concrete or steel lintel over a structural opening. The answer is yes.

They are on the search for a house and the advice here is stay clear of this one. No biggy.

13. Yea all i was saying was ( as stated by op ) if you have found the perfect house i would get some one who knows more to have a proper look at it not just walk away no worries

14. L Woods

L Woods New Member

Difficult to say who knows more than who ... not all surveyors are the same, not all builders are the same. Have seen some shocking examples on both sides. Came across a builder a few weeks ago who thought it was still fine to build a new-build industrial/workshop unit out of single skin concrete block and corrugated steel sheet roof. In the real world though of course, if the lender needs a report (assuming there is a lender) then they won't accept a builders advice - regardless of whether a builder is more competent than a surveyor or not. If you're otherwise happy with the state of the rest of the property then you can get a Specific Defects Report from a surveyor - about a third of the cost of a full survey and focused purely on the issues that concern you. Surveyors are also covered by PI insurance so if their advice is found to be lacking then you can sue and you have their insurance to fall back on. Can you say the same for taking advice from a builder? If this is a 'perfect house' but seems to have a number of questionable additions/alterations then forking out a few hundred quid for some advice seems prudent. Ask the surveyor to advise on budget costs for remedial works, if they're required, and then go back to the vendor with the evidence and renegotiate the asking price. If it's to no avail then at least you can walk any knowing that you haven't taken on a potential liability.

15. libbiesmith

libbiesmith New Member

Hi Everyone!

Thank so you all so much for all the replies and advice! Definitely feel I know more about what i'm potentially getting into. Without a doubt getting a surveyor to look at any house I buy, I just didn't particularly want to do that at this stage. Also a great idea to have a Builder check it out too.

This house is going on the backbench.. I do love it but walking around and seeing that, even with my extremely limited knowledge...the red flags started going off. I had hoped that maybe it might be a more simple solution to fix but I don't want to have to start worrying about the structural integrity.
    Even if nothing came up in a survey...I think i'd be living in a house, expecting something to go wrong. It may be amazing in every other respect but its not amazing enough to silence my gut instinct about it.

Again thank you all so much for giving me the reason/logic to help me make this decision instead of just going on a feeling- makes me feel more confident in the decision :)

16. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

It's ok guys. You can go ahead and put your bids in now!

:cool: