Should i buy gigabit ethernet switch or just 10/100mbps switch?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Matt_H, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Matt_H

Matt_H Member

Hi All,

I am just about to buy an ethernet switch for my home - leading out to xboxes, tvs, kodi boxes, freesat boxes etc.

We have about 35mbps broadband speed.

So presumably a 10/100 mbps ethernet switch will be more than enough.

Is there any reason why I should buy a gigabit ethernet switch instead (which are more expensive) ?

Thanks for any advice.

Matt

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    Joe95 and Matt_H like this.
  3. Matt_H

Matt_H Member

Thanks KIAB. Ordered.

4. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

Second that. Used Netgear GS/FS range for years without any issue.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Must be a fair distance from your cabinet for that speed, or your cables take a long detour.
    BT move me from front pole to the rear pole here after I moaned about my connection,it knocked of several hundred metres off my distance to my cabinet, speed went from 15Mb to 67Mb.:)

This linky is good to find out what's available: https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

6. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

A little late, however you have ordered a Gbit which is what I would have suggested too.

Your BB speed may be just 35Mbps however once you start wanting to download to a home server and then running several different videos and such from there a 100Mb switch might not be enough. I would have suggested a 16 port although they are 3 times the price to give yourself future expansion capabilities. You can however, link a second 8 port to the one you have ordered.

7. Pollowick

Or the OP has a 40/2 or 40/10 based service which will deliver about 38.

Still better than a friend of mine: under 1km in a straight line from exchange, ADSL speeds were around 1Mbps, and now VDSL is really great at around 2 Mbps!

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Daisychaining is what I've done here,got a GS308 next to modem, then a single ethernet cable to tv where it's conected to GS305 5 way for tv,sky,dvd & one spare.

And Infinty 1 is now up to 52Mb not 38MB now.

http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/int...ice-offers-speeds-of-up-52mbps-11364051776492

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Joe95 likes this.
  10. Pollowick

Infinity - A BT product maybe, however some ISPs are still providing products based on a 40/2 or 40/10 bearer rather than the 55/10 that BT made available last year. The OP does not say who he is with.

I run a managed Linksys 24 port with 3 wireless access points - may soon need a second switch though!

It will be nice when it arrives, but look back at other tests and trials BT ave done with Vectoring and G.INP - decisions were made not to roll them out across the country for technical, financial and cost benefit reasons. However G.fast looks a lot more promising after the trials last year which has led to the wide scale deployment trials. I would guess that if you are getting 67Mbps at present you will potentially see maybe 250 Mbps. Trial data shows that full 330Mbps is only happening on lines well under 350metres and yours is probably around 450m.

11. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Vectoring is widely used.

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Some peeps need to update the firmware if they use a modem other than BT supplied one, Zyxel VMG8324 is one that needs the firmware update.

13. Lectrician

Not all lines will adopt vectoring, only if the exchange feels it is required based on your line stats. Routers will typically show if they are using vectoring if you log into it. I tend to use Draytek Vigor 2860's across the sites I maintain data for. They work very well with VDSL, and will adopt vectoring if required.

Joe95 and KIAB like this.
  14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Only if you are on a Huawei cabinet can get apparantly, if you got a ECI cabinet your our of luck.

I gained a bit more speed when I got the 3dB SNR profile, it's G.Fast I want, but we have to wait a bit longer.:(
    Hopefully this year OR will finally replace the rotten alumimum cable up the High Street here, which as been the cause of all my connection issues.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...nreach-prep-3db-snr-fttc-broadband-lines.html

15. Lectrician

They are all Huawei in this area. I think mainly earlier installs were ECI? The Huawei routers are quite nasty, but do work very well with the VDSL cabinets. I actually prefer to use the BT Openreach white modems (Huawei) with the WAN port on a router, rather than using the built in VDSL modem - You usually see a sync of a meg or two more.

16. fire

fire Well-Known Member

BT Infinity is going to kill Virgin media if Virgin don't increase their upload speeds for the same prices.

Considering internet speeds are ever increasing for FTP, Uploading and so on then Gbit connections are a must. WiFi leaves much to be desired if speed is what you are after....

Joe95 likes this.
  17. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

Reliable bandwidth is what is required, speed and latency are secondary.

18. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

Sorry I should add, that FTP(or similar) are essentially background tasks and what you need to know is how long they will take, allowing a degree of planning. I can see the issues are not the same when looking at the uplink for live or streaming content.

19. fire

fire Well-Known Member

I completely agree.

20. fire

fire Well-Known Member

Considering the way people are using the internet upload is becoming a deal breaker. People upload videos to facebook, youtube amongst others and 2-3Mbs just won't cut it. BT infinity has a better upload for similar price and that i think will be the deal breaker come the next few years. As you rightly say, reliability and quality bandwidth is very important, more so than speed.

Currently home NAS devices struggle due to bad upload speeds and i feel the future will have more and more people holding their data at home and NOT on a corporate server 'cloud'. 10Mbs is minimum required for a home server to work properly and from what i can see BT have managed to provide over this upload speed to some peoples homes for low cost, far lower than Virgin Media is offering it at.
    Even new routers are incorporating a dedicated USB solid state storage port to serve data over a home network and internet connection.

What is the quality of that BT bandwidth... I have no idea but the numbers are selling it.

BT are actually rolling out data cable to peoples home bypassing the crappy old copper pair cable. Virgin/Arris need fix that DOCSIS 3.1(the only Virgin Media system version that can handle high upload speeds so far without breaking) and bring the price bracket down fast or they are pooped. Just my opinion for what it's worth.