Should I change my boiler

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Mikebenf, Jul 6, 2016.

1. Mikebenf

Mikebenf New Member

Many thanks for the advice received yesterday but last night I realized that I had given the wrong details regarding the boiler that I have at present, Mod says to re-post as it may change the advice given.
    Therefore:
    Hi, I live in an old cottage (1750ish) and we have a Ideal Mexico boiler c15 years old which, to date, has given us no problems. However, as the hot water pressure comes from a storage tank it is only about .2 bar and we would like to install mixer taps throughout the house which won't work at this press. The mains pressure is excellent and I was thinking of fitting a combination boiler, would the guys in the know on here think this to be a good plan? So, 15 year old boiler, guy who does annual service says it could see out the next 15 years, low hot water press, good mains press and central heating operating off micro bore system approx 45 yrs old with 1970s flat panel radiators. Any advice please!

2. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

I've never liked microbore,it clogs up too easily,a combi is more efficient than a system boiler,however they don't have as long a lifespan,10 years is about max I think.The other issue that you could have is potentially leaks on the heating side,it's not uncommon for an open vented system to run fine for years with no leaks.Put a combi in and the same pipes are under pressure and you can get leaks at the radiator valves.Bear this in mind when you work out your budget,otherwise you could get a nast shock.

KIAB likes this.
  3. Mikebenf

Mikebenf New Member

Thanks Phil. Leaky rad pipes are a concern especially in old cottages, I'll bare this in mind.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

That is why I said rip everything out,including radiators, complete renewal, it's had a very good lifespan.
    Your tempting fate trying to use reuse the exsisting pipework for central heating.

5. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

For a start there is no way the Ideal mexico is only 15 years old its probably nearer 20 to 25, so yes go with the advice given, start from scratch and do the full upgrade.
    Get at least three quotes and then go with your gut about the guy who you feel gave you the best information and you felt most comfortable with.
    Good luck

KIAB likes this.
  6. Mikebenf

Mikebenf New Member

Thanks Dave, it's going to be an expensive summer.

7. TheMorg

TheMorg Active Member

Fit an Intergas Eco RF - Combi boiler on a open vented heating system if you must.

I wouldn't be too concerned pressurizing the heating system , if it's going to leak it will with the system clean anyway. You're pressurizing the hot pipes so there's a risk of leaks there!

I'd also suggest looking at a system boiler with an unvented cylinder if you want to run more than one hot tap at once. It's just as cheap to run, and more reliable.

KIAB likes this.
  8. Mikebenf

Mikebenf New Member

Thanks theMorg, more to cogitate.

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

A system boiler & unvented cylinder had also crossed my mind, but we lack detail on his needs.

10. Mikebenf

Mikebenf New Member

Thanks KIAB. It looks as though it's a good bash of professional advice guided by the advice I've had from you guys is needed. At least I'm not going to go into the project blind.