Should i cover with base paint

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Mags51, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Mags51

Mags51 New Member

Was wondering if anyone has any advice . I scraped wallpaper of in lounge ,done some pollyfilling ,sanded down ,washed walls and have painted 3 coats with matt emulsion . The more I'm painting the worse the walls are getting ,some cracks appearing and what looks like the old plaster showing through ,like white powdery shapes . Don't know whether to try take all off ,or should I put mist or oil based coat over what I have done . Any help would be appreciated .

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Did you wash the walls with sugar soap to remove all traces of the residue wallpaper paste as it sounds like the moisture in the paint is reactivating the old paste causing this problem.

3. Mags51

Mags51 New Member

4. Mags51

Mags51 New Member

Sorry ,no I just dusted them then went over with wet cloth

5. Mags51

Mags51 New Member

6. Mags51

Mags51 New Member

I'm great with technology too lol. The walls were sanded down until they were smooth

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

That's the probem. You can get over this by going over it with a product called Zinsser Gardz. sandpaper the rough parts of the wall first though.

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

What brand of paint are you using?

9. Mags51

Mags51 New Member

It was Johnston's ,I had done my dining room first the exact same way and it's came out great . I think with the bare walls being all different colours and some of it was just like plaster , that it's the parts that were just plaster that's showing through or drying different

10. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I'm thinking there may have previously been some PVA usage which is now stopping the paint from taking an even coverage

Maybe these plastered sections were 'sealed' with the stuff

11. Mags51

Mags51 New Member

Ok thank you both for replies ,looking at it this morning and it's starting to crack too . Should i take it right back again or would I be able to put something over it now and emulsion again