Should i leave my batteries on Charge?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Arrogantowl, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Arrogantowl

Arrogantowl New Member

Hi there, i have just got a 24v Bosch drill from screwfix which came with 2 batteries Model number (Bosch PSB24VE2 Combi Drill 24V)

My question is should i just leave one of the batteries constantly in the charger (as it will trickle charge to compensate for the loss of charge over time) or could this damage the Batt over time.

I will not be a heavy user of the drill, maybe only once every 2 weeks or so.

Regarding the second battry, should i leave it in the discharged state or should i altenate between using this and the first battery. I am not likely to be using the drill all day long so will never require 2 fully charged batteries for 1 particular days work.

The manual says always leave a fully charged Batt in the drill (so over time if not plugged into trickyl charge it will drain) so having a bit of a dilema now.

What sort of period of time should i expect the batt to loose its charge totally after fully charged if left without charging it up?

Should i completely run down the batt before a re-charge (to prevent the batts memory effect)

Cheers in advance ( i know i asked a lot fo questions for my 1st post )

M

2. M.I.G.

M.I.G. New Member

you worry too much!

charge the battery up for the recommended time and remove it from the charger, don't leave it on constant charge coz it'll cook! (unless the charger is the type that switches itself off that is)

the second battery is a back up to be put on charge when the first runs down in use.

3. Arrogantowl

Arrogantowl New Member

lol......maybe i do worry to much.

The charger says it will trickle charge after completing the full charge (this will just stop the natural charge over time getting lost)

It does not say that i should or should_Not leave it on trickle charge for weeks

4. ChaserRenos

ChaserRenos New Member

I have numerous Bosch cordless tools and I have never had a problem with the batteries (luck maybe). As far as I know the new batteries have done away with any memory charges so build away and dont worry.

5. ­

­ New Member

A tv ariel guy I know uses these Bosch 24v drills and he leaves the batteries on charge 24/7/365 and has never had a problem with any of them.

The last thing he needs is to get up on the roof with all his kit only to find the drill battery is dead.

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Now, you have to realise the difference between NiCad, and NiMh batteries.

NiCad have the inbuilt memory, don't last as long, generally have less power, and CAN be damaged by charging wrongly.

They should be fully charged, used, discharged and fully charged again. ALWAYS.

If you don't keep to that, they MAY fail very quickly.

NiMh batteries on the other hand, can be charged, fully or partially, used, not necessary to discharge, charge as much or as little as you want, trickle-charge etc etc.
    No detrimental effects.

They are normally more powerful, last longer betweeen charges, and don't suffer loss of memory.

However, although the NiMh can be trickle-charged permanently if you wish, the charger is probably not designed to be used 24/7/365¼.

Ah, you got the cheap batteries!

Mr. HandyAndy - really

7. The Hay

The Hay New Member

Bosch NiMH batteries are hopeless.
    I know this because mine have died twice.

Bosch know this and will replace them for free if you make a fuss. Local repair engineer says that bosch have piles of duff NiMh batteries lying around.

The idea that you can swap them in and out of the charger and give half charges etc is nae true....they need the same battery care as NiCd.

Also they don't like the cold.

Neither do I.

8. Legal Sparrow

Legal Sparrow Member

There's loads of info on the web about this. A good site is
    http://www.batteryuniversity.com/

Simple tips are.

Do not leave a nickel-based battery in a charger for more than a few days, even on trickle charge.

Exercise nickel-cadmium every 1 to 2 months and nickel-metal-hydride every 3 months. Running the battery down in the equipment may do this also.

Do not discharge the battery before each recharge. This puts undue stress on the battery.

Avoid getting the battery too hot during charge. The temperature should only rise for a short moment at full charge, then cool off.