Should I Stagger Ceiling Plasterboards?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by stitch-up, Nov 12, 2014.

1. stitch-up

stitch-up Member

This weekend I hope to be fixing 30 or so 2400 x 1200 12.5mm plasterboard to our ceiling joints.

My question is, should I stagger the plasterboards as in brickwork or just line them up?

Thanks

2. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

if there is one line (in the sense they all end in the same horizontal) - the ceiling is more likely to crack over time.
    ive always assumed 9mm is normal for ceilings and 12mm for walls although may be wrong on this

stitch-up likes this.
  3. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Stagger the short joints, the long joints can be straight line because they are fixed solid to the joists.

As for 12mm verses 9.5mm it depend on the spacing on the joists, if 400mm centers 9.5mm will do, but if 600mm use 12mm to stop sagging between the joists, lot of weight just hanging up there.

stitch-up and FatHands like this.
  4. stitch-up

stitch-up Member

Thank you very much :)

5. Hi alot of people use 15mm for ceilings always if 600mm centres of rafters or joists u can use 12.5 but i would use noggings in between the joints as for staggering joints i would if a floor above where you are likely to get more movement but if roof above wouldn't worry .

6. Yes, If you don't stagger on your joint you may end up with crack

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2015