Should the UK remain as a member of the EU?

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by nffc, Feb 21, 2016.

?

Should the UK remain as a member of the EU?

1. Yes

34 vote(s)
    28.1%
  2. No

83 vote(s)
    68.6%
  3. I don't know

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  4. I don't vote

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  1. Yup - 100% :)

2. Dear lawd, JJ - if you really believe that's what's happening, you are beyond parody.

3. parahandy

parahandy Screwfix Select

So Germany isn't still 'lending' Greece money which they will likely never be able to repay?

4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

German banks are in the Black to the tune of approximately the same level that the rest of the EU counties put together are in the Red, Strange that.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

5. James Lewis

James Lewis New Member

The best argument I've heard recently is this : If you had the choice to vote IN today (if we weren't already) what would you say?!

6. That wasn't the implication. It was that Germany has a ploy and only for its own good.

Greece brought its catastrophe on itself. And there is only one real way out.

They know this.

7. No surprise at all. They work the hardest.

8. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

9. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

And just exactly what would that be DA? How long do you think the IMF will keep on bankrolling the Greek payments? What happens if they stop funding the Greek debt and Greece reneges ? Who do you think is in control of the Greek situation?

10. Getting mighty bored with this now.

JJ et al, the Greek's sad situation is down to the Greeks. They led a life of high wages, low productivity and cracking social benefits.

All wrapped up in a well-stuffed coat of mild corruption - you basically paid a wee bribe to get anything done.

Their chickens have come home to roost.

They are sunk. They have sunk themselves. They are paying the cost of an unaffordable living standard.

It's gonna hurt, man. It is hurting them - a lot.

But there's sodall they can do about it 'cos they are broke.

That's it.

Don't gloss it up in anything else.

It ain't the EU's fault.

It ain't Germany's fault (they worked hard whilst the Greeks fiddled.)

Y'know what they should do now? Stop biatchin'.

Get on with life.

Their standard of living is pants compared to what it was. But that ain't going to change any time soon.

But it's all their own fault. They didn't moan when they got paid more than they should, when they worked less hard than they should have, when they handed over cash for unregistered deals.

So, get on with it.

But, guess what? They live in a wonderful country with wonderful weather and a wonderful way of life. They are almost certainly healthier than the average Brit (not hard...) and very possibly happier too.

They are on this life - ONCE. And once only.

It'll all recover. Meanwhile, be happy.

And be very glad that there is at least one country who's responsibilities are pretty well sorted - and that's Germany. Because without them we'd all be hurting a wee bit more than we are now.

C'mon, man - even the most left-wing finance minister they've had in whatever says so. :rolleyes:

11. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Ahh but, the majority of the money owed is to German banks DA. What's gonna happen if/ when the Greeks default? I never said it was directly the EU's fault, but it was the EU who enticed them into the Eurozone and (apparently) the warning signs were already on the wall when they signed up for the Euro, so the EU can't simply say they didn't know.

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

There is no enticing, countries are desperate to get into Euro land, that's why Putin is p1ssing blood.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  13. JJ does have a point.

Greece's unworkable economic system should have been picked up on earlier. Mind you, I wonder if they'd have listened?

Sadly it took a recession to make the near-inevitable happen.

They ultimately have no-one to blame but themselves, tho'.

14. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I wonder if DA will comment on that?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

15. Hmmmmmmm, you really wonder, do you? :rolleyes:

The answer is - Germany would not be able to bale out these industries either. 'Cos that's the EU rules.

It's what provides the agreed level playing field.

JJ & Mr Ha, don't pretend for a minute that Germany would do stuff against the rules that Britain won't. 'Cos that is just scurrilous, mendacious, pernicious nonsense. (Yes, I'm lovin' the "ouses")

Ok, Italy would try to - as would France from a few years back - and might even get away with it to some extent. But, Germany? No.

Why? Because they are probably more ethical in their dealings than even we are. And they run things so well that they probably wouldn't even have to consider doing it.

I know that sticks in your craw, but there it is.

PaulBlackpool likes this.
  16. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Steel is a worldwide industry and the countries that make up the EU have decided that it would be unfair if one country in the union subsidised an industry.
    China has no such scruples.

17. That's it in a nutshell.

And if any Brexiter thinks for one nano-second that they can have their cake and eat it (ie - if we leave we can do what we want to 'assist' our industries to give them an unfair advantage) then they'll find that they will not be able to trade on the same terms as the rest of the EU.)

To think otherwise is simply very silly.

(Just wait for the replies - oh but we have the Commonwealth! We can trade with the rest of the Wurld... We can....)

18. Parahandy, you're a Scotsman. (Sorry, I mean that as a matter of fact, not an accusation... :rolleyes:)

Do you know why the SNP are supporting 'Remain'?

I'd have suspected them of wanting to encourage an 'exit' so they could sink the Tory party and move swiftly on to demanding a second referendum on Scottish Independence.

Why don't they?

Do they perhaps think encouraging an 'exit' vote - since it seems to be contrary to the majority of the Scottish people - would count against them?

(Or do they just realise they'd be stuffed without the UK and EU?)

19. KBJ

KBJ Active Member

The EU tried to impose restrictions and tariffs on Chinese steel dumping, which would have prevented the crisis. Guess which government vetoed it? Go, on. Just guess. Dodgy Dave did a deal with the Chinese. But of course it's all still the fault of the EU, as was the demise of the dinosaurs and the fall of the Roman Empire. Just keep repeating: 'Four legs good, two legs bad'.

chippie244 and PaulBlackpool like this.