Should the UK remain as a member of the EU?

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by nffc, Feb 21, 2016.

?

Should the UK remain as a member of the EU?

1. Yes

34 vote(s)
    28.1%
  2. No

83 vote(s)
    68.6%
  3. I don't know

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  4. I don't vote

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  1. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Throwing numbers at da, will have little effect on his pro-eu stance.
    It would be ridiculous for anyone to suggest that the UK couldn't weather the financial storm that would invariably be created following a majority leave vote.
    And that's all it would be, a storm. Yeah it could last a couple of years, max but I'm sure we'd cope.
    Now, I reckon even 'he' must acknowledge that?

The only way, I can envisage him seeing sense, would be breaking his rosy, EU, ignorance is bliss specs. 'TM' Prada.

If you wait until the US of E is even seriously discussed, its too late, for any of us to stop it.

Hankering towards a utopian, humanitarian ideology, will end in Europe being overrun by those with more human desires, who couldn't give a toss, whether or not you hold the moral high ground.

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  2. KBJ

KBJ Active Member

10% of GDP currently comes from our financial services sector, much of which is contingent on our membership of the EU. You cannot simply replace that business by hawking our wares around other countries as we already deal with them. We have already secured a veto on further integration with the EU, so please stop making things up, you're not Boris Johnson. What exactly makes you believe we would 'cope'? Mindless optimism? British supremacy? Who exactly is going to be over-running us anyway. The dastardly Russians (who got a serious kicking in Afghanistan)? The Chinese? Martians? Or is this just more of the usual dithyrambic babbling, with nothing whatever to back it up?

3. Ah, 'Ze Germans are taking over the EU' argument?

That's simply a foolish thing to say. It is baseless and stupid.

But don't let a baseless thought prevent you from hurling it. Again and again and again.

Dear lawd.

4. No you don't.

Nope, that's not what I'm saying either.

What I'm saying is - well, exact what I did say in that post.

Nice try, Mr Ha - but technically 100% inaccurate.

5. I've no idea whether this is the case or not.

But, y'know what? If the right-wing in this country get what they want - a Boris ministry - you will be crying out for a more fair tax system.

And - if we are still in the EU - it'll be the EU what'll come to our rescue with one.

Tell me what you have to fear from a fairer tax system? 'Cos, lawd help us, we hardly have one now. And that will be nothing compared to what Boris & Co will want to do.

Thank t'lawd for the EU, says I :p

6. It never ceases to amuse me (for 'amuse' read 'sadden'... :oops: ) how anything postulated by the EU is thrown in here by the usual suspects as automatically being a 'bad thing'. To be followed with lots of '!!!!!!!!' and a "Hah! What do you say about that?!!!!"

Well, since the vast majority of what the EU represents and provides for us is undeniably good, I, too, will answer "Hah!"

7. Spoken by a person with an IQ of 1, 6 and 0.

Shockingly embarrassing simplicity.

(But, got to hand it to him - no '!!!!!!!'s. A tad too many '????????', tho'.)

8. 'Nothing' and 'plenty'. That's some sweeping claim, Phil :)

Sadly - for you - that's all it is.

And it follows an accusation of 'delusion'.

Whooooooosh.

9. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

KBJ, do you seriously believe that? I simply don't believe anything the EU tells us any more. I bet that if we remain within the EU, there will be a regulation brought out about full political and monetary union. According to EU treaties, it's the "regulations" we should be most worried about. These have to be adopted by every member. Watch this space.

10. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

You seriously think the EU will come up with a "fairer tax system DA? You really are deluded. They are fast running out of money (one reason they need the UK to stay) They'll tax everybody and re-distribute the money raised to the countries that will squander the most (that seems to be their modus operandi at the moment with the money they receive from the UK). You seriously think we'll pay less tax if the EU get their hands on taxation? I wonder what the implications of full integration would be? Wonder if we'll get the same retirement age they have in France? (no bloody chance) I wonder if we'll get the same sort of pay Germans receive? (not a cat in hell's chance) I wonder if we'll be paying the same for food as they do in the poorer EU countries (again no bloody chance)
    Do us all a favour DA and seriously think it through. You really want full integration and you really want the EU controlling how much tax you'll pay, how much you'll pay for food? how much you'll pay for everything?

11. JJ, if you were more honest - and you should be, 'cos you are stunningly transparent to many on here - what you actually mean is "I simply won't believe anything the EU tells us. I don't want to. It doesn't serve my purposes to."

That would simply be more honest. We know that's where you're coming from, and in your heart-of-hearts you know this too.

I particularly love the "...anything the EU tells us any more" part. It's like you are trying to pretend that you were once open and willing to engage with the EU concept, but - oh no! - 'they' destroyed 'your' trust so it ain't your fault you feel that way. 'I gave it my best shot - and they abused it!'

The dishonesty is tragic. But very very transparent, JJ :(

We all know you simply hate the whole idea. You are a bona-fide 'little Englander'. You cannot stand the idea of Germany (GERMANY!!!) being better sorted than us and setting the progressive agenda for all our benefits (HOW DARE THESE KRAUTS DO THIS!)

:oops:

12. I've thought it through, JJ.

I have no idea whether they are postulating an EU-wide tax system. But - based on the standards that the EU promotes - I would happily lay a bet on it being progressive and fair. A lot more so than what we currently have; hardly progressive, full of tax loopholes, underfunding the NHS & schools etc.

The ultimate aim of the EU is have all it's participating countries running successful economies with decent wages and high living standards.

There is nothing on this planet that'll make you want to accept any of the good that the EU does for humanity.

'Cos your concern goes no further than your own nose. No realising the irony of what your decision on the EU would actually do to the likes of yourself.

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2016
  13. I notice the Tory right-wing are positioning themselves for a coup regardless of the outcome. What a bunch of back-stabbing hypocrites.

They obviously realise that there's a good chance they'll lose the referendum, so they are throwing arbitrary figures like "if it's less than 60:40 we'll still want..." into the media.

Who the hell do these people think they are?!

I would relish witnessing a purge of these vile human beings. A party devoid of the Boris, the IDS, the Redwood, the Gove, the whole stink of fascism.

Bring it on :)

14. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

I don't suppose many on here will agree with me when I repeat what Jeremy Corbyn said that the real problem in the UK is not the EU but the Conservative Party.

KBJ likes this.
  15. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

It strikes me that you have a massive problem with, Truth and Fact, hence why you beleive all the carp the IN spread.

Oil was the only reason America went into Iraq, Blair only went because the puppet master told him to. FACT, Chilcot will, when allowed prove that, oh for the day they shut the prison gate behind Blair, hopefully not long after we break the shackles of the EU, could be a good year 2016.

16. parahandy

parahandy Screwfix Select

You'd think Labour would get their fingers oot and do something about it then, because as things are at the moment the Bullingdon boys would likely do them over... again.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  17. KBJ

KBJ Active Member

I would. When you have members of a Government being investigated for human rights abuses and election fraud, something is clearly awry.

PaulBlackpool likes this.
  18. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

He's not wrong.

2016-05-30 18.37.22.jpg

19. Oil? No it wasn't. You cynical, cold-hearted simpleton.

The sheer lack of sophistication in your posturings. IT WAS OIL! THAT''S IT!! Fnuuurrrrr.

Ok, ok - I wouldn't be surprised if the idea of a cheap and continuous oil supply helped to focus some minds in the US in particular, but - y'know what? - I have very little doubt whatsoever that what drove Blair to make his decision was the belief in 'doing the right thing'; remove a murderous dictator, restore democracy, make Iraq a beacon in the middle east for the populations of the other countries to be inspired by.

I have reasons to believe that this is the case because - quite simply - that is the kind of guy he was, and that's what drove him to intervene - successfully - in Sierra Leone and the Balkans (not sure there's much oil in either place?).

(I also know it via a Labour MP of that time who I happen to know well.)

Yes, I know it went pear-shaped, largely due to lack of further commitment by the US, but that is not to decry what the intention was.

Really, stop saying "FACT!" when you say something that's simply populist and simplistic. It makes you look silly.

It's astonishing how the usual suspects will never accept the moral right of intervening in SL and the Balkans. I wonder why they overlook it?

It also never ceases to make me despair that they always look for the worse reasoning in why a decision was made. What sort of mind is it that is soooo cynical? Sooo suspicious of other people's motives?! So ready to see the worst in others - be they politicians or immigrants.

Anyone other than themselves... :rolleyes:

Oh the 'rony.

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2016

20. Please tell me you are yanking our chains posting that?!

Please.