Shower Advice - different pressures

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Phil GGG, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Phil GGG

Phil GGG New Member

Hello,

I'm trying to get some advice as 3 different plumbers have told me different things.

Lately my shower has had issues with the cold water. at some point either the water flow becomes really low, or you need to keep it on hot to get any water going.
    The hot water comes from a mains-fed combi-boiler, the cold from a tank upstairs (so gravity fed).

I've been told it may be the cartrige so may need to find a new thermostatic mixer valve.
    I live in a block of flats, so I can't at this stage connect the shower to the cold mains or do anything with the Tank.

any ideas that are simple but effective?

if i do change the mixer (looks similar to this one http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/architeckt-gascoyne-1739-26340) should that be enough?

do I also need a pressure equilizing valve installed? a pressure reducing valve?
    is there any type of thermostatic mixer that caters for different pressures? would an actual good one be enough here?

if the pressure is different will the mixer's cartridges keep on getting ruined every few years?

thanks!

2. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi
    If the cold gravity supply is ok, how about connecting it to feed the combi?

Balanced pressure, happy days?

Regards
    Peter

3. Phil GGG

Phil GGG New Member

Hi Kiaora,

it would make sense, but i'd have to tear apart kitchen and or bathroom to get to the pipes and re-do that.
    so i'm looking for easier options :)

thanks,
    Filippo

4. Presumably you've checked the filters on the shower cartridge? Not unknown for crud to get into cold storage tank. (Ref my earlier post!)

5. G&W Plumbing & Heating

G&W Plumbing & Heating Active Member

You need the correct flow restrictions if you want to use an unbalanced supply

6. SC96

SC96 Member

Pump on the cold supply?

7. Hi Phil.

One of the first things you've said is "Lately my shower has had issues with the cold water..."

Can you confirm that, before 'lately', everything worked fine? In which case it isn't a 'design' or installation fault but that something has changed in your system to cause this imbalance. So I wouldn't be looking to rejig the plumbing or add pumps. But instead try and work out what's gorn wrong.

It could be (a) a slight blockage or alteration carried out to your cold storage tank affecting the cold supply to the shower (is it shared?), or (b) a slight change to your incoming mains pressure affecting the hot supply to the shower, or (c) a faulty mixer cartridge.

The obvious fact is, it worked before, so something has since 'changed'. I wonder what :oops:

As said above, you'd normally have both shower feeds coming from the mains with a combi boiler system. But clearly yours hasn't been plumbed that way - tho' it still worked.

What floor are you on, and how far above if the cold storage tank - I'm assuming it's a few floors if it's been working fairly well?

A shower cartridge will need water supplies at roughly the same pressure to operate properly. I'm guessing that, since yours did seem to work ok, your mains pressure ain't that brilliant 'cos you are up a couple of floors, and that your cold stored water pressure is pretty nifty as it's a couple of floors further up?! In other words, your mains might be at less pressure than 'normal' and your stored at higher than 'normal' - so they almost balance out! So, overall, the shower is 'happy'.

(Unless, of course, there is already a pump fitted to your cold supply that's failed?)

Is it the pressure difference wot's caused your shower cartridge to fail? I doubt it. I can't see how it would.

So, I think what I would do is (1) confirm there isn't a pump already fitted on the cold from the tank (I doubt if there is), (2) confirm there isn't a PRV or any other type of adjustment valve fitted on the hot supply to the shower (I doubt that either), (3) try and judge whether the cold supply (from the tank) to your taps is any different to what it was before (turn them fully on and try and remember...) and (4) try and judge whether the hot supply to your other taps is as good as before (turn them on fully and ditto).

If the results of this are 'no', 'nope', 'yup' and 'yep', then I reckon the chances are your cartridge - ie the shower mixer unit - is 'faulty' or needs a clean or replacement.

If you decide to replace the whole shower mixer, then go for a good quality one and also email the manufacturers (or read the specs) providing them with details of your system first and ask if it'll be ok. And/or whether you will need to add any other device as well for pressure balancing.

8. I've had a look at the installation instructions for that mixer you linked to above. It can cope with a huge range of pressures - very impressive - but does suggest (in the troubleshooting section) that the pressures should be fairly balanced.

Before getting one of them, ask the manufacturer. Describe your system in detail.

By the way, what did the plumbers say?

9. Phil GGG

Phil GGG New Member

Thanks for the replies!

Devil's advocate, the answers are no, no, no yes! efectively that left the shower cartridge.
    I don’t believe the pressure has changed (if not actually that the mains may have increased since they changed the pump for the building), but there is always a clear difference between the mains and gravity fed.

Unfortunately I’m on the 6th and last floor, so the tank is just above.

I’ve taken the mixer apart and soaked the cartridge in vinegar (as well as ordering a replacement, just in case). This seems to have improved things: the flow is good and does not stop. The shower does get progressively hotter, so I think because of the pressure difference the cartridge struggles to keep the temperature fixed. So definitely an improvement foe ns for the advice. I just suspect I will periodically have to “service” the mixer..

thanks to all!