Shower compliance

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by GBPhotographer, Aug 29, 2015.

1. GBPhotographer

GBPhotographer New Member

I have a 100A switched consumer unit with 80A, 30mA RCD. A 40A MCB is cabled from the CU to the shower with 10mm cable via a ceiling double pole shower pull switch. The shower is rated at 8.5 KW.
    Can anyone tell me if this complies with the regs or do I need a separate shower CU with its own RCD rated at 40A 30mA?

2. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

A 8.5kw shower on a 40a mcb and 10mm cable is fine, what brings you to ask the question?.

3. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

As Rulland said it all sounds fine, why do you doubt it?

4. GBPhotographer

The only reason I'm querying it is the wiring diagram for the shower unit (which I'm installing myself) indicates an additional RCD between the CU and the ceiling pull switch. All seems a bit over the top to me but if it's necessary then I will put one in.

5. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

So long as the CU you are wiring the shower from has a 30ma rcd you don't need another.

6. GBPhotographer

Thanks for that Coloumb, makes sense to me.

7. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

The 80amp rating of the RCD is the current it can safely carry and switch. As long as the load is below the rating it's fine. The shower install guide shows a 40amp, but it could be a 63, 80, 100 etc.