Shower door frame 760 mm or 800 mm ?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by michael j, Jan 29, 2016.

1. michael j

michael j New Member

I need to replace an existing pivot shower door and frame. The aperture is 780 mm but i can only find on sale 760 mm and 800 mm wide door/frames.
    Do I buy a 760 mm and pack out one side with a batten OR buy an 800 mm and try and cut down the frame...?
    OR will the 20 mm adjustment for out of true walls stated against the 760 mm frames give me the 20 mm I need.....
    The existing is 20 + years old and may well have been bespoke back in the day.
    Any help much appreciated please?

2. What you certainly don't want to do is buy a door + frame that's too big :)

And that includes cutting frames - don't go there, man.

So what I would do is either contact the manufacturers to find the max and min sizes of their doors/frames, or else look them up on-line - download and have a gander at their installation instructions.

I suspect it'll be the 760mm jobbie - with 10mm extra adjustment on each side. All the doors I've fitted have always had at least that amount of compensation in their frames.

But, check first. You can post links to the ones you are considering if you wish - I'm sure peeps on here will advise on them.

michael j likes this.
  3. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

As DA says check the specs, you should be able to find one that will fit ok. I suspect that the 760mm one will do just find. Good luck!

michael j likes this.
  4. michael j

michael j New Member

5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

That looks like it should do the job perfectly.

6. itchyspanner

itchyspanner Member

800 means it will be for an 800mm tray, assuming 5-10mm will be in the wall or under the tiles i would say you have an 800mm tray.

7. Well, I was wrong, Michael... :(

These 800mm jobbies you've linked to are all nicely within your opening space - typically "Size Adjustment Recess Door: 750mm - 790mm". So they are all perfect size-wise.

Which one? I simply don't know. They are all 6mm glass, so that's great. I doubt you'll have any issues with hinges failing - they all tend to be pretty good in that respect.

The only other thing that sets shower doors apart for me is how well they keep the bludy water in ('cos my old Wickes one bludy doesn't... :oops: )

So customer reviews reviews reviews, I guess. Mind you, even that cheapo VicPlum one has good reviews.

I personally wouldn't pay over £200 for a shower door unless there was a darned good reason.

What would I - a Skotsman - do? I'd investigate the Vic Plum one more to check its credentials. And if it looked as tho' it is well sealed - especially along the bottom - then I'd plumb for it.

'Plumb' for it! Man, I'm on fire... :oops:

8. :oops: Darn, the word is "plump"... :oops:

9. michael j

michael j New Member

£200.00 sounds a sensible budget for a Scotsman or an Englishman to me - thanks for the advice ;)
    I'll see what i can find on the reviews but I know at least 2 of these on line sellers remove bad reviews despite saying otherwise so I'd trust what you guys say more on here. TTFN Mike

10. Ethan Reed

Ethan Reed New Member

Hi! I'm glad you found pivot doors. Unfortunately, I've read this thread only now. I was looking for a shower door for a long time, discussed this problem on different forums and one man recommended me a company that specializes on custom glass shower doors and enclosures (you can see it on https://wonder-glass.ca ), and I finally found the necessary door! They have a great choice. Hope this information will be helpful for you or someone else.