Shower looses a lot of pressure when tap is used?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by RipGroove, May 31, 2016.

1. RipGroove

RipGroove Member

I have 2 showers at home (neither are electric), but only one can be used at a time, both showers almost stop completely if the other or any tap in the house is turned on?! Is there anything I can do about it as its a real pain having to wait for someone to finish in a shower even though we have two! Worth noting that out general water pressure seems quite high and that we don't have a water tank anywhere and I don't think there are any shower pumps anywhere.

Surely the point of having two showers is that they can both be used at the same time?

2. If there's no storage tank or hot cylinder then that suggests you have a combi boiler which heats the hot water instantly?

In which case - sorry - but only one hot source can be fully used at a time.

The only solutions are costly - fitting an unvented hot storage tank, for example.

Most peeps chust cope. I do... :oops:

3. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

Or a more capable combi boiler, but equally as expensive as above suggestion.

4. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Only DIY here, but surely the problem is just as likely to be poor flow rather than weak boiler? Perhaps 15mm main, restrictive isolators etc? High pressure doesn't mean high flow!

Why not run a test? Open first tap on the system after the main stop and see what flow rate you can get - time filling a bucket. Post here will give an idea what you have. Also post your boiler model. Typically a mid-range combi will give you about 12-14l/min into a shower. Big boilers up to double that or more. A shower under 9-10l/min is getting weak.

In our house we only have 1 shower and a 13l/min boiler. One additional tap drops pressure a bit, tap + toilet cistern filling drops shower to just about useable. Add in a washing machine at the same time as a tap and a cistern and the shower near enough stops. We are on a 15mm main.

5. RipGroove

RipGroove Member

Thanks I'll do that. I know our boiler is really low end so maybe a better one might help a little. Also I'm not sure how to tell which tap is first on the line or what order any of it is after that as we have a fair few things in the house that require water:

Downstairs toilet
    Downstairs sink
    Kitchen sink
    Upstairs main toilet
    Upstairs main sink
    Upstairs main shower
    En suit shower
    En suite sink
    En suit toilet
    Outside tap
    Washing machine
    Dishwasher

I'm not home right now but I'm sure my boiler is a crappy BIASI Riva Advance.

6. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Quick look on line. That boiler is rated 10.7l/min at 35 degrees rise for the smaller 24kW version and 14l/min off the 32kW version. That's pretty low. Don't think you are going to run 2 showers off either with any great success. If you have the 32kW, you might just about get 2 weak showers at the same time with nothing else open.

As CraigMcK said, new bigger boiler may be the solution, but if you go that route, make sure the supply and pipework is suitable for the flow you want. Still worth checking the available flow on the first tap - the one nearest the stop cock - often kitchen - to see what you can get. I get about 22l/min from my kitchen tap. If you get the same then it would be worth thinking about a bigger boiler rated 20-25l/min. That would drive 2 decent showers at the same time, but that's a big combi. Alternative is system boilers with storage.

Not a plumber, so I'll let others recommend particular solutions.

7. RipGroove

RipGroove Member

Awesome thanks! Pretty sure my boiler is the 24kw version.

8. RipGroove

RipGroove Member

Appreciate the detailed info by the way, that's really helpful. I'll test the flow at the kitchen tap with nothing else open, then I'll test one of the showers with nothing else open, then I'll test the same shower with the main tap open and also measure my copper pipes and post the results. I probably won't have those results until Saturday.

9. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

OK. be interesting to see what you come back with. But you're going to need someone else to help with the practical solution. I can only offer the theory:p

10. RipGroove

RipGroove Member

Haha thanks. Our boiler is being taken off the garage wall at the expense of NHBC under my buildings warranty cover as it was never signed off at installation and was fitted incorrectly which has subsequently lead to some pretty major damage to my brickwork. They 'may' actually buy me a new boiler also but if they don't I'll just buy a boiler and then the plumbers can just refit the new one instead of the old one so that way I'm not paying for fitting so I'll probably end up with a new decent boiler anyway.

Other than that, I guess there's not a great deal I can do about the whole situation. I will ask the plumbers about a hot storage tank though as well. Maybe I also can reduce the pressure to the taps and appliances via reducing valves and ball valves so when they are open they take less water away from the showers.

I'll post my measurements and flow results on Saturday and see what's what.

11. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

You didn't say it was a new house. I would be inclined to point out that the boiler has to be fit for the purpose of supplying two showers as that is what the house has. If they don't play ball ask them for written confirmation that the small boiler is suitable. They may say it is but be reluctant to put it in writing. Depends how hard you want to push but if they really have supplied a boiler with a 10.7l min flow rate for a house with two showers it's very shoddy and cheapskate.

12. RipGroove

RipGroove Member

I'm working on it! NHBC are the most difficult and unhelpful people around, they also have zero idea about building and zero common sense.

For example there it seems the mortar in my brickwork has been mixed very poorly and as a result crumbles out when you literally touch it. They came and 'inspected' it, said it wasn't a strutual problem as water was not yet getting in to the walls and said that they wouldn't cover it anyway as they need a minimum claim value of £1500 and that to repoint my 4 bedroom house with detached garage would only cost £300!!!!! There is no way on earth I could get it done for that.

Also there is water getting under the dormer Windows upstairs, again they came and inspected it and said that the reason the water is getting in was because there was never any mastic applied under the window sills, but again they won't cover it as they say they don't cover Windows and doors. Even though they should have inspected and signed off the installation of the Windows! So they are admitting they didn't do their inspection properly but that they won't put it right.

Also I've spoken to Gas Safe and the electric people (forget the name now) and it seems there are no records of any gas or electric installations ever being signed off at my house, so it seems that the guy who built the house was not gas safe or electrically registered. So when I ask NHBC how they signed the house off they say "we don't have to prove to you that we signed it off". The guy who built the house should be made responsible for the ill fitting plumbing that has caused damage but NHBC say they can't hold him responsible as he wont answer the phone. Again these things should have been inspected by them and signed off during the build. That's the whole point of NHBC and buildings warranties.

They really are utterly useless. I do seem to be making some headway with the boiler issue now though, but mind you it's taken 7 months exactly of phoning them nearly every day.

13. Caution...

Most combi boilers cannot provide a proper hot flow to more than one tap at a time. This is normal, and is recognised as one of the main drawbacks of having a combi.

You need to bear in mind that ALL the water supply in your house - hot and cold - is ultimately fed by a single 15mm supply once inside your house. If you check the flow rate at the cold sink tap, you'll likely find your house is supplied at around 20 lpm at the most.

The average combi can supply around 12lpm hot water, but if you open a cold tap at the same time, you'll see that this can only hugely affect that rate.

15mm pipe is fine as it's delivered at a highish pressure, but once you open a tap that pressure will drop quickly.

You will only get a combi to supply two showers at the same time if (a) your mains flow is comfortably in excess of 20lpm and (b) the boiler is rated at - ooh - well over 40kW.

Basically, you'd be nuts to even try.

A much better option is a pressurised unvented cylinder. These will store heated water under mains pressure, with a type of expansion vessel to keep the pressure going as the mains replenishes it.

What you are experiencing is normal - it is not down to an installation issue.

(That's not to say the installation ain't pants, tho' - I don't know...)

14. RipGroove

RipGroove Member

Thanks for the info! The boiler and installation has been inspected by 2 Gas Safe engineers and they both came up with a pretty long list of installion errors, infact they actually shut my gas off and isolated the boiler saying it was all unfit to use! So in effect yes the boiler and installion is unsafe but supplying the 2 showers could well be another issue like you say.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  15. Ask the GasSafe for his thoughts when you next see him.

It is possible to help the situation a bit by keeping the mains pipework in 22mm right through the mains stopcock inside the house, and only splitting it into 2 of 15mm as it approaches the boiler. One feeds the boiler and t'other the cold taps.

That might help, but it still won't cure. There is no cure :). They chust cannae do it, cap'n.

16. RipGroove

RipGroove Member

The plumbers/gas people are coming round in couple of weeks to fit my oven properly as again that has been condemned due to ill fitment! So I'll talk to them then about bigger boilers, unvented tanks and such like. There's not much I can do about the pipe work though as its all hidden in the walls and the boiler is in the garage at the front of the house and the main 'water in' is at the back of the house in the kitchen.

17. JOMEL

JOMEL Screwfix Select

Boy you have had a merry time.
    I butted in coz just weeks ago I had my heating changed, from an Elson tank that's a big
    vented copper tank system . Its worked for 35 years with a Potterton Flamingo 50.
    It was rated 19kw. But was heating a tank of hot water not instantaneous like a Combi.

It was all changed and radiators removed and all cleaned and an Intergas 36kw-30kw fitted.
    Its working fine and the CH is of course much better that the old system.
    But it only took days to understand that one needs at least the 36kw domestic for a good
    bath flow. I have left the electric shower as it is now.
    But opening a cold tap does reduce flow as you would expect.
    So that's my 2 pence worth.
    I was a plumber for 15 years. By golly gosh plumbing has changed in the 55years since I left it.
    Keep at the NRBC its needed.

Johnny M

18. RipGroove

RipGroove Member

Thanks and yeah as said I'm definitely having to work NHBC every single day!

19. RipGroove

RipGroove Member

Haven't got a lot of time today but I have just times the flow on the main tap in the kitchen, it'll do 0.5L in 2.2 seconds.

So thats 1.0L in 4.4 seconds

Which is 13.7L in a minute

So a better boiler might help or not?

From what I can see my cold pipes are 15mm under the sink, but I do have some 22mm pipes coming off the boiler too?

20. Jeepers, how did you measure that? You didn't 'time' for 2.2 seconds, did you?!

(I usually run the tap for, say, 10 seconds, and then times the litres by 6)

Anyhoo, assuming your measured flow is accurate at ~14, I have to say that it isn't great. It's adequate, but not amazing.

It still won't provide two showers simultaneously.

Nothing will - other than a 'stored' system either pressurised or vented.