Shower mixer taps stuck- advice, please!

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Bizzielizzie, May 25, 2016.

1. Bizzielizzie

Bizzielizzie New Member

Hi,

My first post here- I'm not trades/DIYer.

I had Swirl Elevate bath/shower mixer taps fitted 8 months ago. They were fine, but have suddenly stuck fast and it's impossible to switch to shower function.

Screwfix have offered a replacement, but I was wondering if there is a DIY solution I could attempt first? The plumber cost more than the taps in the first place, so it seems like money down the drain (ouch!)

Any advice appreciated, although I'm a DIY novice/dunce.

Thanks in advance!

2. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

You need to go back to screwfix with the plumbers invoice and demand they pay it, Its their product that is at fault therby the expense of replacement should be theirs.
    If they refuse demand to speak to the manager and insist its within your consumer rights etc.

3. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Is it?????? The right to a replacement yes, but it has never covered the cost of Labour to replace, the same goes with car parts, the amount of times I've bought a brand new part that hasn't worked and had to swallow the time and Labour involved in fitting them.:mad::mad:

4. Fatsteve

Fatsteve Member

Yes good luck with screwfix reimbursing costs ... Only laugh behind your back, I normally buy another unit same item and take the parts I need and return failed bits attached to new item saves time and effort removing the whole unit. Under the mixer depending on model is an allen key head this undoes the fitting. Do same trick with faulty taps...I then laugh back in their smug faces. Their lame excuse for not paying labour costs are supplier cannot be sure part was installed correctly, guess us dumb **** plumbers are incompetent

5. Bizzielizzie

Bizzielizzie New Member

Thanks for your replies, guys.

The thing is, I don't even know if they are faulty as such. I posted the question and Screwfix straight out offered me an exchange- I hadn't even asked. Also, I don't think that they actually manufacture the taps themselves, (or do they???) so hitting them for labour probably wouldn't be an option.

In any case, I could really do without the whole rigmarole, if at all possible. The lever just suddenly refused to pull upwards to turn it to shower function. Is there anything I could try to tweak it to work again? Could the plumber just have over-tightened something when he was fitting them? They have always been slightly on the stiff side- for me at least, obviously not for the plumber, though.

All advice much appreciated!

6. Fatsteve

Fatsteve Member

Either way you will have to fork out again which is wrong, suppliers should me made accountable for handing out unreliable crapppp most stuff these days offers design at the exspense of function :mad: dont want to plumb no more but dhss says noooo

7. Fatsteve

Fatsteve Member

Plumber would not have any reason to mess with the valve, probably build up of soap etc

8. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Difficult one as taps come with a 2 year gaurantee but as you say, it's gonna cost you more in labour once again

You could try DIY route
    The knob that pulls up to select bath- shower usually unscrews from the tap body and pulls out - just a brass rod and a rubber washer essentially

Not sure of this tap but some have a decorative chrome nut or just a round Bessel. Either way, wrap with a soft cloth and unscrew with grips, taking care to not damage the chrome

Maybe just scale and needs cleaning ?

As long as taps are turned off, no water will gush out so should be an easy one

Just DIY myself but taken apart a few mixer taps, obviously all slightly different - good luck

9. Bizzielizzie

Bizzielizzie New Member

Cheers guys! That's exactly what I was hoping- some kind of build up. We are blighted by exceptionally hard water in this area.

Dave, just to clarify please-'cos I'm a total dunce with this kind of thing- is the knob that should pull up (but doesn't now) the one I'm unscrewing to clean it up?

Thanks again!

10. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Under the knob that pulls up, there should be a ring or bezel or hex shape nut that screws into tap body and holds diverter assembly in place

This should unscrew (anti clockwise) then the diverter assembly should just pull up and out

Once out, it may be apparent what the problem is
    Just protect the chrome finish as easily damaged by spanners, wrench etc

11. Bizzielizzie

Bizzielizzie New Member

Many thanks, Dave, much appreciated! I'll get cracking on this over the bank holiday. Fingers crossed. Thanks again.

Steve, I totally get your frustration. It seems like we have fewer and fewer rights of any description. Unless you've got a bank account in Panama, that is...