Shower niche in brick wall?

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Irfan, May 20, 2008.

1. Irfan

Irfan New Member

Hi chaps,

Although not ideal I would like to create a shower recess in a brick/concrete block wall. I have never done this before hence seeking advice/experience of others.

I have checked the depth of the wall with pilot hole and it is 9 1/2 inches I think the wall is 2 x 4 inch concrete blocks. I am thinking of creating a recess by cutting out 80cm length, 27cm height and 11cm depth. This will be from the centre of the wall. The recess will be tiled with mosaic.

Question is what could I do to reinforce the recess since taking out so much will weaken the wall??

Thanks in advance!!!

2. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

Uh?

Explain?

Whatt are you trying to do?

3. Irfan

Irfan New Member

HotDog, sorry for not being very clear :( here goes again…

I am effectively thinking of creating a big hole into a 9' thick wall. I need around 4 inches deep to create a hole deep enough to be useful It will be tiled all around i.e. all sides etc... And then used as an area for storing shower gel shampoo etc..

I am concerned that due to the length & height of the hole which I am considering to be around 68inches length and 9 inches in height. That will be a big chunk out of a wall and as such I am wondering what I can do to reinforce etc..?

Hopefully made it a little clearer this time

Thanks! :)

4. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

Making a hole in a shower wall is generally NOT a good idea, you are creating somewhere where water will collect and eventually cause damage, better to create a shelf that drains.

5. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

but if you must then you would need to put a lintel in the wall to support the weight.

6. jasonb

jasonb New Member

Is there enough space to box out the wall 4" and form your recess in this? If not as Hotdog says you will need to insert a lintel to support the brick/block above.

Is it an internal or external wall?

Whatever you do tank the wall and recess so that any water gathering there will not get into the wall.

Jason

7. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

Or put a shelf up like us mere mortals ;)

8. Irfan

Irfan New Member

Hi Guys,

Lintel sounds like the way to go hence thats what I will do!

I am going to paint inside of the recess with water proof membrane (tanking) before tiling over and also have the tiles at a slight gradient to allow any water to slide out into the bath etc..

Thanks for you advice chaps much appreciated!

Irfan

9. GKU

GKU New Member

I am going to paint inside of the recess with water
    proof membrane (tanking) before tiling over and also
    have the tiles at a slight gradient to allow any
    water to slide out into the bath etc..
    >

??? Seriously !!! - or am I reading it wrong ??? :O

10. chip off the block

chip off the block New Member

nowt wrong with that press. it is only a shelf. it only needs a slight slope to prevent sitting water

11. GKU

GKU New Member

Yeah , just read the post again (properly this time) , did'nt read the bit he was referring to about a shelf , thats why I could'nt make out what he was on about !!! apologies to all .

12. Irfan

Irfan New Member

Press, had me a little confused for a bit!

Cheeers for clarifying chip :)

BTW it’s all done and looks pretty good if I may say so myself! Shame can’t post pics on this forum which is something they should consider I think!

Question for either of you, I am debating on weather to tank, or waterproof some boxing for W.C and frame/stand with a shelf for a basin to sit on.

Neither of them is going to be in the "wet zone" hence I feel it will be overkill hence going to use normal stud timber and 10/12mm marine (waterproof) ply to tile onto?

What do you guys think...?

13. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

no need to tank

14. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

15. gaz3394

gaz3394 New Member

Hi irfan, I'm about to do the exact same thing. Niche will prob be about 18" wide. Thinking of using 4x2 as the lintel. Can I ask how you made yours up and what did you use to waterproof it. Product wise. Gaz